Here are some final notes on the Texans last OTA of 2012.
- Gary Kubiak was impressed with Case Keenum today. He called him “automatic” in the 2 minute drill session in practice.
- John Beck and Keenum will take all of the snaps when mini-camp starts, while he rests all of the veterans during that time. The veterans will be with strength and conditioning Coach Cedric Smith while the younger group will be going through mini camp.
- Kubiak called OTAs a success because the team got out of the sessions without any major injuries.
- A scary moment was reported when tightend Owen Daniels and cornerback Brice McCain collided with each other during pass drills. Both finished practice without any issues.
- Injury concerns are centered around linebacker Darryl Sharpton who is described as not being able to play if the Texans had a game today. Kubiak wants Sharpton competing out on the field with Bradie James for the starting inside linebacker position. Andre Johnson and Matt Schuab are on the mend while Hebron Fangupo is ready to go heading into mini-camp.
- Danieal Manning has been praised for his increased role in leadership in the secondary, and how much he has improved knowing the scheme of the defense. It has shown during OTAs with him flying around the field.
- New fullback Derrell Smith is behind the learning curve, but Kubiak said it was the team’s choice to do that with Smith’s position change. Kubiak likes the hands Smith displays in the pass catching game.
- The biggest concerns for the Texans coming out of OTAs is not having a big bodied tight end to go along side with Owen Daniels and at the lack of experience at the fullback position besides James Casey. During the down time the Texans are going to look at all options available pertaining to these two positions.
- Connor Barwin said the benefit of OTAs is the team is starting to build chemistry heading into the 2012 season. Barwin, also thinks he has a better understanding of what Reggie Herring and Wade Phillips want him to do defensively.
- Despite word that Brian Cushing was going to be shutdown for the remainder of OTAs, Cushing practiced at 100% today during practice. He called the knee issues more of a bruise than anything. Cushing talked about how much DeMeco Ryans meant to him as a professional and how he tries to model his game after Ryans.
- Matt Schaub deemed himself ready to go today during OTAs. He also likes the young wide receiver group and wants to get them up to speed with the offense with him in the huddle.
You can follow Patrick on Twitter
. He is the Editor of State of the Texans and is a draft analyst on Sideline Scouting