Last season the Philadelphia Eagles finished a disappointing 8-8, and missed the playoffs. The Eagles season didn't start the way the organization or the fans would have liked. The defense weren't really responding to Juan Castillo's system until the second half of the season, and the offense wasn't as explosive as it should have been.
However, the 2012-2013 season could be different, very different. With the preseason behind us, the Eagles are ready for the opening kickoff on Sunday vs Cleveland. The Eagles finished the preseason with a perfect 4-0 record, but that is just a teaser for the regular season.
Although they may be the obvious choices, here are my five reasons why this Eagles season could be something special:
- Andy Reid- Whether you want to admit or not, Reid is on the hot seat. The fans and the organization are tired of still being without a Superbowl. As we wrote earlier in the summer, Andy Reid is a great coach, and his time is now. The organization has put all the pieces in place for Andy, now he has to go out and get it.
- The Defense- Last season, Juan Castillo's defense just couldn't seem to click. Fans wanted Castillo fired after every single game...until the second half. The Eagles defense suddenly found their mo-jo, and made things interesting. The defense rose to the occasion towards the end of the season, giving the Eagles a chance of making the playoffs. This season, they can not wait until the final weeks. If the Eagles make a Superbowl run this season, it will be because of the defense. Defense wins championships.
- Desean Jackson- The Eagles star receiver got his wish in the off-season, a 5 year, $51 million extension. Now that our top receiver is locked up, he is going to have a much better season. Jackson claims that he didn't play his best last season, as he wanted to avoid getting injured. I truly believe, that Desean will be the most explosive player on the roster this year.
- Michael Vick- We all have heard it, we all know it. If Vick stays healthy, the Eagles can be a dominant team, and pretty damn exciting to watch. As we all know, that is a big if. Unreal Technologies guarantees that he will not get injured with his new rib protector. Only time will tell.
- LeSean McCoy- Shady ran for 1,309 yards last season, with 273 carries. McCoy recorded 17 touchdowns and averaged 4.8 yards a carry. McCoy had an unbelievable season, and he could have been used more. If McCoy can match, or come close to last season's numbers, the Eagles will be the most exciting team in the NFL.
The Eagles have tons of other weapons, such as Brent Celek, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant as well as many others. This season the Eagles had an amazing draft, and now have a great roster. Brace yourself Eagles fans, this year could be something special.
The regular season is right around the corner, here is little promo from the Eagles to get you pumped up: