The Cleveland Browns were valued at $987 million dollars according to Forbes Magazine, making them the 34th most valuable franchise in sports. The team sold for $1.05 billion dollars last year, but as you know when you drive the team off the lot they immediately lose value.
Actually, Jimmy Haslam purchased 70% of the team from Randy Lerner last season, with an agreement in place to purchase the remaining 30% in 2015. Unless of course Haslam’s current legal troubles escalate.
The top 3 franchises on Forbes’ list were all soccer clubs, led by Real Madrid. The New York Yankees were the top American sports franchise at #4, and the Dallas Cowboys were the top NFL franchise at #5. There were 20 NFL franchises valued higher than the Browns. 30 of the 32 NFL teams made the list. (Jacksonville and St. Louis did not.)
The Indians and Cavaliers were not included in the top 50. In March, Forbes valued the Indians at $559 million.
[Related: Supporting Browns ownership is tricky proposition for fans]