At Thursday's press conference to introduce John Idzik as the New York Jets new general manager, the incoming GM didn't comment specifically on any Jets player. But later, on ESPN Radio, it sounded like Idzik had some good news and some bad news for Mark Sanchez. The positive news for Sanchez — it doesn't sound like you're going to be put on the trading block. On the flip side for last year's starting quarterback — you're going to have to fight for that same position next season. Speaking on "The Michael Kay Show," Idzik said Sanchez will be back as part of quarterback competition. "We're going to bring in competition," said Idzik. "Mark is a competitor. He's not adverse to competition. He'll probably welcome it. It will make everybody better and that will be our direction." Jets head coach Rex Ryan took the more direct approach about his fifth-year quarterback. "I believe Mark needs to erase his hard drive," said Ryan. Sanchez had a miserable season (18 INTs) and the Jets finished 6-10 but Ryan thinks Sanchez must be chomping at the bit at the prospect of working with a pass-oriented offense with new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg. "He's got to be popping out of his skin, as any quarterback would," said Ryan. The Jets still have Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow under contract behind Sanchez and his $8.25 million guaranteed contract in 2013 but Idzik said all personnel would be evaluated with an eye on cap space. By the way, Sanchez's deal was orchestrated by ousted GM Mike Tannenbaum. The Jets could take a shot at Matt Flynn — the backup on Idzik's former Seahawks team — or possibly the 49ers' new second-teamer Alex Smith, both who could put the pressure on Sanchez and maybe take his starting job. Ryan sounds excited about trading in his ground-and-pound offense for a more streamlined run-and-gun attack. "I can't wait to get out there and see how our offense will look," said Ryan. "Will it look different? Yes it will." For some reason, it sounds like bad news for Sanchez.