Found September 30, 2012 on The Majors Detroit:
The Lions made history Sunday afternoon in their 20-13 loss to the Vikings… and it wasn’t item that special teams coordinator Danny Crossman is going to want to put on his resume any time soon. In the Super Bowl era the Lions became the first team to allow a kick off return for a touchdown and punt return for a touchdown in consecutive weeks. In fact that last time this happened came well before Super Bowl I in 1967… how about all they back in 1940, a year before the United States became involved in the second World War. Who would’ve thought that the Lions defensive special teams would be worse than the actual defense before the season started… On the opening kickoff, Percy Harvin went untouched for a 105 yard touchdown giving the Minnesota Vikings a very early 7-0 lead. Later in the third quarter the special team woes would continue as Marcus Sherels would return a punt 77 yards for a touchdown giving the Vikings a 20-6 lead. From there the game was lost for the Lions who continued...

Lions’ Ndamukong Suh is being nurtured by the NFL’s front office

Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh is a decent defensive lineman, but has the NFL had a hand in taking what was once a force of nature in his rookie season and turning him into a lamb? Oh sure, Suh had that rookie season where he accumulated 10 sacks. Which for defensive tackle is impressive, but the league has quickly caught up to his abilities. Going into the 2010 draft, Suh was literally...

Detroit Lions injury report: key starters struggling with nagging problems

Tomorrow, of course, is Sunday. That means up until kickoff, agonizing about key injuries will be the focus for Detroit Lions' fans everywhere. Fortunately, one piece of good news regards the quarterback position, where it looks as if things aren't as bad as they initially appeared last Sunday. What are the five most important injuries to watch this week, as the Lions...

Lions hope to overcome playoff odds

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- NFL teams that start 1-3, like the Detroit Lions this year, have failed to make the playoffs 85.3 percent of the time under the current playoff format. So, youre saying theres a chance? Yep, 14.7 percent based on that history. Lions coach Jim Schwartz was the defensive coordinator for one of those teams that overcame the odds. Ten years ago, the Tennessee Titans...

Minnesota Vikings vs. Detroit Lions: Hero and Zero of the Game

The Detroit Lions where expected to take a leap this season into the elite of the NFL, but instead they have dropped three games in a row as they fall to the Minnesota Vikings in week 4. Let's take a look at the Hero and the Zero of the NFC North match up in week 4.Hero of the GameYou don't have to dig deep into the box score to determine that the Minnesota Vikings Special...

Vikings success starts with improved defense

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. As the Minnesota Vikings season nosedived last year, a lot of the blame was placed on a historically bad secondary, which allowed a 107.6 quarterback rating, the second highest mark in NFL history. Injuries and an overall lack of competency were common themes as Minnesota led the league with 34 passing touchdowns allowed, while tying a league-low with eight...

Vikings 20, Lions 13: Good, Bad and Ugly

Another loss, and another poor special teams performance by the Detroit Lions. Mike Mady breaks down the good, bad and ugly in Detroit's 20-13 loss to Minnesota.

Same issues plague the Lions

Ford Field turned into a house of horrors for the Lions on Sunday as they lost their third straight game 20-13 against the Vikings to fall to 1-3 heading into the bye week. It seems like the same problems are facing the Lions in all of the losses, lack of consistent running game, big plays and special teams issues.  Always good to see that a team is struggling in all three parts...

Vikings match 2011 win total on legs of return game

DETROIT -- Special teams delivered a streak-busting victory for the surprising Minnesota Vikings. Percy Harvin returned the opening kickoff 105 yards for a touchdown and Marcus Sherels scored on a 77-yard punt return as the Vikings upset the Detroit Lions 20-13 Sunday at Ford Field. Minnesota snapped an 11-game losing streak against NFC North opponents. "We wanted to win...

Photo Gallery: Vikings-Lions

Pictures from the Vikings’ 20-13 win over the Detroit Lions at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan

Detroit Lions vs. Minnesota Vikings: Five Things to Watch

The first NFC North battle of the season commences on Sunday afternoon, as the Minnesota Vikings make an early season appearance in Detroit to oppose the Lions. Though the Vikings finished well under .500 last season and played some ugly … Continue reading →

Vikings, Lions missing 2 defensive starters

The Vikings and Lions will both be missing two defensive starters because of injuries, and the addition of Jerome Simpson caused the Vikings to deactivate two receivers Sunday.

Key matchup: Starting at the ends

The Vikings will look for ways to pressure Matthew Stafford, who is less mobile than normal after a hip injury. Jared Allen and Brian Robison have only one sack between them, but they have been applying the pressure.

PJD's Game Four Recap: Your NFC North Leaders!

What is Going On Right Now: You guys, I don't exactly know how to tell you this, but here goes. After the Minnesota Vikings beat the Detroit Lions on Sunday, 20-13, and kind of convincingly, the Vikings are now 3-1 on the season and - get this - first place in the NFC North. No, it's not the first game of the season where we have inflated our record to look better...
NFL News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.