This is my third annual final mock draft and for the final outcome I will try and simulate the possible outcomes with trades going up and down by teams. You will see some picks that have not been on any of my other mock drafts after reading some late news from each organization.
I have spent hundreds of hours looking at mock drafts, video of these players and listening to the experts on Fox Sports, ESPN, the NFL Network and other sites to come up with these selections, so hopefully this will be close to what happens.
1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14): Projected selection - Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M.
The Chiefs will try and trade down, but they will not get the value they were looking for, so instead they grab a player that fills the biggest need and is the best player.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14): Projected Selection - Dion Jordan DE Oregon
The Jaguars have several tough choices to go ovber in their war room, as they decide between a QB, with the uncertainty with current signal caller Blaine Gabbert, offensive tackle, defensive line or they could trade down.They go for the freak of an athlete in Jordan to strengthen their defense.
3. Oakland Raiders (4-12): Projected selection – Trade with the New York Giants as the Giants trade Round 1 (19), Round 2 (49), Round 3 (81) and a 2014 Round 1 selection. The Giants select Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan.
The Giants make a bold move and go and grab one of the three top OT in Fisher.They have to find a way to save Eli Manning and they feel this is the insurance policy they needed.
4. Philadelphia Eagles (4-12): Projected selection - Trade with the Arizona Cardinals as the Cardinals trade Round 1 (7) and Round 3 (71). The Cardinals select Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
The Eagles, like the Jaguars fielded a lot of calls and got some value from the Cardinals to drop back three spots.The Cardinals did not want to take any chances on losing out on one of three OT and give up the 3rd to flip spots.This is an excellent move by the Cardinals
5. Detroit Lions (4-12): Projected selection – Dee Milliner CB Alabama
The Lions looked at their options of CB, DR or OLB and realized they can’t pass up Milliner.They feel that with both his better medical concerns and natural ability will make it worth the chance.
6. Cleveland Browns (5-11): Projected selection – Trade with the Dallas Cowboys for the Cowboys Round 1 (18) and Round 2 (47). Projected selection – Sharrif Floyd DT Florida
The Cowboys are looking at Floyd as a newer version of another player from the sunshine state they selected years ago in former #1 overall pick and long time Cowboy, Russell Maryland
7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11): The Pick was traded with Philadelphia Eagles earlier. Projected selection – Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU
Ansah is very raw, but the upside is worth the risk.Ansah reminds people of the Giants Jason Pierre-Paul and he has panned out so far.
8. Buffalo Bills (6-10): Projected selection – Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia
Jones will help provide an impact from the outside like Von Miller is doing in Denver.Look out AFC East.
9. New York Jets (6-10): Projected selection – Tavon Austin WR West Virginia
Austin will provide another alternative for Sanchez opposite Holmes.This selection will help in the return game also.The Jets could not take the chance in losing him to the Chargers
10. Tennessee Titans (6-10): Projected selection – Chance Womack OG Alabama
The Titans need help on the line and grabbing the best guard goes a long way to rebuilding it.
11. San Diego Chargers (7-9): Projected selection – Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina
The Chargers, like the Titans need help on the line and they grab the next best guard, who is close to Womack’s ability.Cooper will provide the support Rivers and the running game needs.
12. Miami Dolphins (7-9): Projected selection – Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
The Dolphins want to trade down, but could not get the value they wanted.They would debated going after OT D.J. Fluker here, but need more help in the secondary where Rhodes can start parting the field and possibly make his own island.
13. New York Jets (6-10): Projected selection – Barkevious Mingo OLB LSU
The Jets need to find ways to apply pressure on opposing QB (see Tom Brady), and Mingo has the drive and skills to make his own introduction to Mr. Brady and others.
14. Carolina Panthers (7-9): Projected selection – Trade with the San Francisco 49ers for the 49ers Round 1 (31), Round 2 (61) and Round 3 (95). Projected selection – Star Lotulelei DT Utah
Hard to imagine Lotulelei goes this late, so when San Francisco sees this, they load up their truck load of picks and wheel and deal with the Panthers.Star will anchor the line and help fill one of the few holes the 49ers team has.
15. New Orleans Saints (7-9): Projected selection – D.J. Fluker OT Alabama
The Saints need defense help, but since they were able to fill some during free agency, they go for O line help in Fluker.Fluker is not the one of the top three tackles, but he is top of the next group, plus played for Nick Saban.Great pedigree and is worth the selection.
16. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1-): Projected selection – Cordarelle Patterson WR Tennessee
The Rams need weapons for QB Sam Bradford and Patterson is someone who will help Bradford get down the field, and move the ball.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Projected selection – Cornelius “Tank” Carradine DE Florida State
This is the second surprise in the draft.Carradine is recovering from leg surgery, but at a recent workout, he ran a 4.75 (40 yard time) and showed he is back.If his stamina holds up he will be a steal for Pittsburgh either with his hand up or down on the line.
18. Dallas Cowboys (8-8): The Pick was traded with the Cleveland Browns earlier. Projected selection – Desmond Trufant CB Washington
The Browns traded down and still are able to fill a glaring need.If Trufant can provide coverage similar to current Brown Joe Haden, you should see the Browns making some noise in the AFC North
19. New York Giants (9-7): The Pick was traded with Oakland Raiders earlier. Projected selection – Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri
Richardson reminds me of a younger Richard Seymour, so who would be better to take Seymour’s shoes that him.Richardson looks to be better suited for a 4-3 defensive scheme, where the load can be distributed better among four linemen, which the Raiders use as their base defense.
20. Chicago Bears (10-6): Projected selection – Trade with the St. Louis Rams for the Rams Round 1 (22) and Round 4 (112). Projected selection – Kenny Vaccaro FS Texas
Vaccaro is another piece for this up and coming defense.The Rams were worried that the Bengals may take him, so they jump over them to get the player they wanted.
21. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6): Projected selection – Trade with the Atlanta Falcons for Round 1 (30), Round 3 (94) and Round 4 (126). Projected selection – Bjoerm Werner DE Florida State
When the Bengals lost out Vaccaro they took the Falcons offer and ran.The Falcons will get their replacement for John Abraham in Werner.He will show the Falcons flashes what made him a possible top 5 pick, and be a long term leader of the defense.Great value pick for the Falcons without giving up their 2nd round pick.
22. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1): The Pick was traded with the Chicago Bears earlier. Projected selection – Tyler Eiffert TE Notre Dame
The Bears wanted Eiffert and knew if they traded with the Rams, they could pick up an extra pick and still get the piece they needed to help Jay Cutler.Eiffert can play in the mold of Patriots Rob Gronkowski with size, speed and catching ability.
23. Minnesota Vikings (11-5): Projected selection – Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
The Vikings seem to do well with DT named Williams and this will be another in a line of good decisions.He will provide much needed strength and attitude in the middle, which the team needs.
24. Indianapolis Colts (11-5): Projected selection – Datone Jones DE UCLA
The Colts need someone to try and fill the shoes left behind when Dwight Freeney was released.Jones has more size than the departed long time Colt, but he will need to watch a lot of film to find ways to get to the QB the way Freeney did.He has potential, just hope he has the drive to match.
25. Minnesota Vikings (11-5): Projected selection – Kevin Minter ILB LSU
The Vikings add another integral piece of the defense as they look to build the middle of the defense with the solid ILB from LSU.Minter will step up and get inside on plays and should provide something the Vikings have needed to upgrade after some have left the team.
26. Green Bay Packers (11-5): Projected selection – Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
The Packers need someone to run the ball and stay healthy.Hopefully Lacy can show the ability he did last year. He just needs to find a way to handle the bigger load as he shared the load with others last year.The good thing for him is he will not need to be the star as that title belongs next to him in the backfield in superstar QB Aaron Rodgers.
27. Houston Texans (12-4): Projected selection – Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
Andre Johnson gets his wish in the 6’4” Volunteer WR world class long jumper.Hunter’s very good senior year helped move him up the draft after his ACL injury in his junior year.He will help pull some of the coverage off of Johnson, which will only help the Texans move the ball more.
28. Denver Broncos (13-3): Projected selection – Damontre Jones DE Texas A&M
The Broncos need to fill the role of Elvis Dumervil and Jones has the ability to do this, or at least some of it.Jones needs to fulfill his potential that he showed flashes of.I think not being “the man” will take the pressure off and give him time to get up to speed, which will be well worth the time.
29. New England Patriots (12-4): Projected selection – Trade with the Arizona Cardinals for Round 2 (38), Round 4 (102) and Round 5 (135). Projected selection – Geno Smith QB West Virginia
The Patriots were looking for ways to pick up more picks and still get quality, which they will in the early second round.Even though the Cardinals passed earlier on the WV QB, they saw an opportunity to grab the top QB in this draft. He can now sit behind Carson Palmer for a year and learn the ropes without getting thrown in the fire.In the long term he will be the leader of the team.
30. Atlanta Falcons (13-3): The Pick was traded with the Cincinnati Bengals earlier. Projected selection – Alec Ogletree OLB Georgia
When the Bengals made the trade with Atlanta, they were not sure if Ogletree would be there, but got lucky.He will provide depth and flexibility with the linebacker group.The Bengals get some value with this trade.
31. San Francisco 49ers (11-4-1): The Pick was traded with the Carolina Panthers earlier. Projected selection – D.J. Hayden CB Houston
Hayden is the most talked about up and comer mentioned heading into the draft.The Panthers will get a player who can be a top CB for years to come.They get the picks and a hidden treasure with this pick.
32. Baltimore Ravens (10-6): Projected selection – Manti Te’o ILB Notre Dame
The Ravens lost most of their starting and depth at linebackers and need someone to come in and show leadership and heart, which is why Te’o is selected here. He will give the team the boost it needs in the intangible area.