Found May 29, 2012 on
Turn On The Jets:
New York Jets
A huge thanks to Chris Gross for running Turn On The Jets, while I spent a couple of weeks aboard in Ireland, Netherlands, and Germany. It is good to be back and getting after it here at TOJ, stay posted throughout the week as myself, Chris, and the rest of our writing staff will be bringing you the high quality content you have come to expect.
1. How could you not laugh at the reaction to Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow’s performance in a 7 on 7 OTA practice? Get used to the meticulous tracking of every throw and movement they make at each practice and the unavoidable overreaction to it. Personally, I think without question Sanchez is the superior quarterback, should start and shouldn’t necessarily have a quick hook. However, I can admit it is crazy to get down on Tebow because he threw a pair of interceptions in his first practice in a new offense. Practice is important but nobody remembers your completion percentage in practices when the bullets start flying in a game. Sanchez is going to start the season under center and the media/certain fans will be screaming for him to be pulled after one bad game, regardless of how much he outperforms Tebow this summer.
2. I am very happy with the decision to sign Yeremiah Bell over Jim Leonhard, which is exactly what it was regardless of what Rex Ryan says. Bell has more size and athleticism than Leonhard and has simply been a more productive player over the past few years. Yes, the Jets are going to have coverage issues with Bell and LaRon Landry starting, along with Eric Smith coming off the bench but Bell provides both needed insurance to Landry at strong safety and more athleticism than Smith would at free safety. His signing hurts the chances of rookie Antonio Allen seeing much playing time this year. On the other hand, rookie Josh Bush should remain a factor in a centerfield type role in certain three safety looks.
3. It is a shame to hear about Kenrick Ellis, as his jail sentence will obviously slow his development. Hopefully, he can get it split so he doesn’t miss any training camp. Regardless, with a crowded depth chart at defensive line, his chances of becoming a major factor this year have only got slimmer.
4. Today, the Jets signed veteran tackles Stephon Heyer and Ray Willis. Both are journeyman but between them have 61 NFL starts. Considering the depth on the offensive line right now, don’t be surprised to see one or maybe both stick on the roster. These signings don’t bode well for Austin Howard.
5. I have no problem with Wayne Hunter and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo talking tough about the upcoming season. I would hope they would project confidence in Hunter’s ability to handle a starting position. It is more than reasonable to be skeptical about Hunter but it certainly sounds like he will have every chance to prove his critics wrong.
6. Interesting but not surprising to hear Visanthe Shiancoe linked to the Jets in free agent rumors. They still badly need a number two tight end and Shiancoe is a proven veteran, who will give them a ton of versatility in their two tight end sets.
BEST OF MAXIM
In the third episode of "Football Nation Today," Alex discusses the news from last week's NFL OTA camps, the NFLPA's collusion case against the NFL, and the decision to make knee-pads and thigh-pads mandatory.
1st Down: Stories from NFL OTA camps, including the seemingly indefinite quarterback controversy with the Jets between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, the effect...
Quarterback Tim Tebow #15 of the Denver Broncos celebrates a touchdown pass to Eric Decker during the third quarter against the San Diego Chargers at INVESCO Field at Mile High on January 2, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. (Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)
The Denver Broncos signed one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time as a free agent this offseason. For most teams, this would mean...
Believe it or not, it's not just ESPN that is obsessed about Tim Tebow. The (in)famous New York media is already stepping up to the plate with TebowMania and we're still over 3 months away from the beginning of the 2012 NFL season. Deep within Peter King's Memorial Day edition of Monday Morning Quarterback was this interesting tidbit about Tim Tebow being covered...
After taking his job as Denver Broncos quarterback, Peyton Manning now has beaten Tim Tebow to the top spot for the best-selling jersey in the NFL.
The league said Tuesday that Manning's Broncos jersey and Tebow's New York Jets jersey have sold more than any other over the past two months on NFLShop.com, followed by those of rookies Robert Griffin III of the Redskins and...
Maybe we have our answer to why Tim Tebow has apparently turned down so many women eager to be with him. Olympian Lolo Jones, who has joked about the possibility of dating her fellow virgin, told Jets center Nick Mangold that she heard the quarterback has a secret girlfriend.
Things started when Mangold tried playing matchmaker between the two athletes. He tweeted the following...
Photo Courtesy of John Leyba, The Denver Post
As I sorted out my top Denver Broncos defensive plays it was rather easy at first, until I got to the fifth and final spot. My efforts were severely hampered by a lack of video of some of the plays I had on my short list. I figured, heck with it, I’ll just pick my favorite defensive play from last season. The play itself was significant...
Every year there are some marquee players in the NFL who for some reason have sub-par seasons. Whether it be due to injury, coaching change, or just age, this seems to happen all the time. Ahead are the five quarterbacks who need to step it up in 2012 for their teams to have success.
Mark Sanchez-New York Jets
Marc Serota/Getty Images North America
Mark Sanchez is always criticized...
We know the New York Jets will be re-embracing their “Ground and Pound” identity this season under newly hired offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. However, Sparano and the rest of the offensive unit has emphasized a large part of the new offense will be looking to acquire big chunks of yardage off the play action passing attack, which Mark Sanchez has been productive with so...
As you all enjoy the end of your Memorial Day Weekend, we at Turn On The Jets would not only like to wish everyone well on this holiday, but more importantly would like to thank all the devoted men and women who have served, and are currently serving our great nation over seas. On days of reflection like Memorial Day, we realize how lucky we are to be able to enjoy the luxuries of...
New Bronco Peyton Manning's jersey is the NFL's top seller over the past 2 months, knocking new Jets, um, football player, Tim Tebow from his perch. But Timmy's apparently got a secret virgin...
Full story at Bob's Blitz ~ http://www.bobsblitz.com
Be sure to follow me on Twitter for more Broncos updates throughout the day.
Denver Broncos News
Broncos: How about defense? | Colorado Springs Independent
His name is Joe (he doesn’t ever want me to use his last name), and he’s been a devoted Denver Broncos fan since the 1970s, back to the days of Randy Gradishar, Lyle Alzado and Tom Jackson, Joe’s favorites from that era...