SAN DIEGO - JANUARY 17: Head coach Rex Ryan of the New York Jets stands on the field prior to the AFC Divisional Playoff Game against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium on January 17, 2010 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Donald Miralle/Getty Images)
An angry New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan took to the podium Friday to shoot down a report that he called "garbage" and "untrue."
Or should we say he tried to shoot it down but looks to have missed.
New York Daily News Jets beat writer Manish Mehta said Thursday that Ryan has been telling "anyone who would listen" that he would welcome his firing if owner Woody Johnson was not going to spend the money to address their offensive woes.
Later in the day, Mehta stood by his report, calling it "100 percent accurate" during an interview on SNY, and adding that he didn't include any quotes from Ryan because it had been agreed that their conversation was off the record.
The report cited unnamed sources tied to the Jets' organization.
Rex seems to have put on a good act Friday, but it does look like Mehta is telling the truth. Teri Thompson, managing editor for sports at the Daily News, told The Associated Press that "It's a very solid report."