It’s that time of year where the draft season starts taking over and sets the tone for the upcoming 2013 season for the Houston Texans. With speculation and projections for the upcoming draft prospects it will be a long ride until late April and the 2013 NFL Draft.
The Texans are picking 27th overall and have at least 10 picks in the draft, due to compensation picks from lost free agents. General Manager Rick Smith and the scouting department get to show what they are made of for three days in April, with majority of their work happening during the college season.
We look at the “Rick Smith Era” with his draft picks since 2007, and see if we can get an idea where or what he might be looking at.
To understand the map the colored states are where the Texans have drafted players from. The Red indicates that only one player was taken from that state, the Blue indicates more than one player was taken and the number indicates how many players.
* 25 states are represented with the Texans 47 draft picks (2007-2012)
* Lead States: Virginia (5), Texas (5), Alabama (4), Arizona (3), Ohio (3), Wisconsin (3), California (2), Miami (2), North Carolina (2), Kentucky (2)
* Lead Schools: Virginia Tech (4), Alabama (2), Rice University (2), University of Texas (2), University of Arizona (2), Miami (Florida) (2)
* Picks by Conference: Big 10 (9), ACC (8), Pac-12 (6), SEC (6), Big East (4), Big 12 (4), Conference USA (2), Mountain West (2), WAC (2), Sun Belt (1), Ohio Valley (1), SIA Conference (1), Mid-American (1)
* Draft Picks by Position: Defensive Back (12) Offensive Line (9), Linebacker (7), Defensive Line (6), Wide Receiver (5), Tight End (3), Quarterback (2), Running Back (2), Kicker (1)
* 27 picks are still with the organization (57%)
* 33 picks were on a NFL Roster in 2012 (70%)
* Rick Smith’s first draft pick was Amobi Okoye (2007 Draft, #10 Overall)
* The 2007 and 2008 draft classes only have 1 player still on the roster: Duane Brown (14 total picks)
* From Last four draft classes only 7 players are no longer with the team: Anthony Hill, Dorin Dickerson, Cheta Ozougwu, Sherrick McManis, Shelley Smith, Trindon Holliday, Troy Nolan (33 total picks)
* Three All-Pro Player has been produced in Rick Smith’s tenure: Brian Cushing (2009), Duane Brown (2012) and J.J. Watt (2012)
* 9 players who started opening day in 2011 were drafted by Smith: Duane Brown, James Casey, Derek Newton, Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Glover Quin, Kareem Jackson, J.J. Watt, Brooks Reed.