Here are some notes from the Texans last day of Mini-Camp sessions.
- Wade Phillips via his twitter account praised the work the young players put in these last few days at mini-camp. He pointed out that second year cornerback Brandon Harris had a good three days at mini-camp and picked off a pass today. Also, talked about linebackers Whitney Mercilus, Tim Dobbins and Bryan Braman doing good work at their respective positions. A surprising name came up in Ra’Shon Harris who is a second year nose tackle out of Oregon, who was also practiced well during mini-camp.
- Head Coach Gary Kubiak and General Manager Rick Smith contracts were extended according to Texans’ owner Bob McNair.
- Steph Stradley pointed out that Shayne Graham put on a show over rookie kicker Randy Bullock in the kicking competition. Graham made some 52 yard field goals with room to spare, while Bullock struggled with the distance.
- Late yesterday first round draft pick Whitney Mercilus signed with the Texans. He was visibly excited about finally signing his deal with the Texans, and said the first thing he was going to do is take his family out to a nice dinner.
- On the side field away from mini-camp, Matt Schaub was throwing routes to Andre Johnson. Both are coming off of injury plagued 2011 seasons.
- Rick Smith spoke highly of VP Chris Olsen who is doing all the contract negotiations for the Texans, and credits him for getting the Mercilus deal done. He doesn’t doubt that DeVeir Posey and Brandon Brooks will be signed before training camp opens.