Found August 30, 2012 on
State of the Texans:
Here are a few notes from tonights game against the Minnesota Vikings:
- D.J. Bryant has stated a case to make the Texans as a practice squad player. He was active in pass rush and in run game defense. He has shown flashes of his pass rush capability throughout the season.
- DeVier Posey was better late than never with his first catch of his NFL career. He caught the ball, took a hit and showed his speed for an 80 yard touchdown. He showed some big play capability which is exactly why the Texans drafted him.
- Quarterback John Beck was 6 of 10 with 149 yards and a touchdown. He was composed in the pocket and made good decisions with the football. With the final quarterback spot up for grabs, tonight Beck showed that he has a good grasp of the offense.
- Trindon Holliday has more than likely secured a roster spot with his third touchdown in the preseason. (one kickoff and two punt returns) We have been hard on Holliday but his big play potential is too much for the Texans to pass on.
- Justin Forsett has wooed us with his consistent yardage gains including a 52 yard run in the second play of the game and 2 touchdowns. He also actively participated on special teams and punt returns.
- Rookie Offensive Guard Brandon Brooks looked the best he has all preseason. He came off the football and attacked defenders in the run game and held up in pass protection. Struggling for majority of the preseason, the light looked like it finally clicked on for the rookie.
- Safety Shiloh Keo did not help his cause tonight to make the final roster. Poor angles on the football and coverage breakdowns made it a forgettable night for him. Keo is considered a bubble guy coming into the game and his time in Houston may be coming to an end.
- Second year linebacker, Mister Alexander, played physical football in the run game defense. He plays fast to the football and made a big play in the first quarter when he ran through the fullback to tackle the ball carrier a no gain. Alexander will be depended on for special teams play during the season.
- Whitney Mercilus recorded another sack to give him 3 1/2 for the preseason. On one play he dominated Vikings offensive tackle DeMarcus Love (6’4″ 315 lbs) in a pass rush move, where he literally picked him up off his feet on his way to the quarterback. His situational pass rushing skill will come in handy during the season.
BEST OF MAXIM
Amidst a flurry of moves, the Houston Texans reduced their roster and met the league imposed 53-man roster deadline on Friday evening. In addition to releasing players, the team also acquired a player via trade. The Texans and the Chicago Bears exchanged players. Houston sent CB Sherrick McManis to the Bears in exchange for FB Tyler Clutts. The move leaves the Bears without a fullback...
Houston Texans offensive tackle Rashad Butler is out for the season with a torn triceps. "Unfortunate," coach Gary Kubiak said announcing the injury. "Tough, tough deal." The Texans released right tackle Eric Winston, who signed with the Chiefs as a free agent, opening the training camp competition at the position between 2011 seventh-rounder Derek Newton...
The Minnesota Vikings will wrap up their preseason with a trip down to Houston to face the defending AFC South champion Houston Texans on Thursday at 6:00 CT. The Vikings are 1-2 this preseason while the Texans are 2-1. The final preseason game is usually the one that decides who the remaining back ups will be and who will be cut.
There is a very good chance that none...
A fan has been taken to a Houston hospital after falling from an escalator at Reliant Stadium.
A statement issued by stadium officials says the fan fell from the escalator Thursday night while attending a preseason game between the Houston Texans and Minnesota Vikings.
The statement said nothing about the fan's condition, other than that he was taken to a Houston hospital....
Adrian Peterson's goal since Dec. 31 knee surgery has been returning for the Minnesota Vikings' first regular-season game on Sept. 9.
A little more than a week away and Minnesota coach still isn't sure if the goal will be met.Following the preseason finale 28-24 loss at Houston on Thursday, Frazier called Peterson a "game-time decision" for the regular-season...
The regular season is fast approaching so let's take a look at the AFC South and how each team might fare in 2012. (CHFF exclusive).
A fan who attended a pre-season Houston Texans' game at Reliant Stadium fell to his death from an escalator, officials said Friday.
The fan fell from the escalator while attending a preseason game Thursday between the Houston Texans and the Minnesota Vikings, Reliant Stadium officials said in a statement.
The Houston Medical Examiner's Office confirmed in an email Friday...
The Minnesota Vikings have reached the NFL imposed 53-man limit. On Friday, the Vikings made a series of roster moves in order to reach the league imposed deadline. Minnesota placed OT DeMarcus Love on the team’s injured reserve list. Four vested veterans were also terminated. Vested veterans do not hit the waiver wire and are free to sign immediately with any other franchise....
Minnesota Vikings rookie safety Harrison Smith has been fined $21,000 by the NFL for a hit on San Diego Chargers receiver Mike Willie on Aug. 24.
The hefty fine sends a stern message to the first-round draft pick, who has already established a reputation as a hard-nosed, big hitter. Smith was penalized for the hit against Willie late in the third preseason game.
Smith was drafted...
Damn, I could really go for some Texas BBQ right now. I can smell it I want it so bad. It mixes smell and taste somewhere on the back of my tongue. GUH.Anyway, welcome to another Purple Jesus Diaries Game Thread. We're back for the final time during the preseason, which means the next time you'll see a game thread it will actually be during a Sunday afternoon (because the...
The Vikings believe Jerome Simpson will be a legitimate deep threat when he returns from suspension, but the fourth preseason game will be a big test for other receivers looking for an early contributing role.