Here are a few notes from tonights game against the Minnesota Vikings:
- D.J. Bryant has stated a case to make the Texans as a practice squad player. He was active in pass rush and in run game defense. He has shown flashes of his pass rush capability throughout the season.
- DeVier Posey was better late than never with his first catch of his NFL career. He caught the ball, took a hit and showed his speed for an 80 yard touchdown. He showed some big play capability which is exactly why the Texans drafted him.
- Quarterback John Beck was 6 of 10 with 149 yards and a touchdown. He was composed in the pocket and made good decisions with the football. With the final quarterback spot up for grabs, tonight Beck showed that he has a good grasp of the offense.
- Trindon Holliday has more than likely secured a roster spot with his third touchdown in the preseason. (one kickoff and two punt returns) We have been hard on Holliday but his big play potential is too much for the Texans to pass on.
- Justin Forsett has wooed us with his consistent yardage gains including a 52 yard run in the second play of the game and 2 touchdowns. He also actively participated on special teams and punt returns.
- Rookie Offensive Guard Brandon Brooks looked the best he has all preseason. He came off the football and attacked defenders in the run game and held up in pass protection. Struggling for majority of the preseason, the light looked like it finally clicked on for the rookie.
- Safety Shiloh Keo did not help his cause tonight to make the final roster. Poor angles on the football and coverage breakdowns made it a forgettable night for him. Keo is considered a bubble guy coming into the game and his time in Houston may be coming to an end.
- Second year linebacker, Mister Alexander, played physical football in the run game defense. He plays fast to the football and made a big play in the first quarter when he ran through the fullback to tackle the ball carrier a no gain. Alexander will be depended on for special teams play during the season.
- Whitney Mercilus recorded another sack to give him 3 1/2 for the preseason. On one play he dominated Vikings offensive tackle DeMarcus Love (6’4″ 315 lbs) in a pass rush move, where he literally picked him up off his feet on his way to the quarterback. His situational pass rushing skill will come in handy during the season.