With free agency basically kicking off this weekend, the Turn On The Jets 12 Pack is going to submit predictions for the New York Jets off-season at each position. It won’t be a flashy off-season but it will be the beginning of a needed rebuild
1. Quarterback - The Jets are going to sign two veteran free agents, likely either David Garrard, Brady Quinn or Kevin Kolb if he is released from Arizona. They will release Tim Tebow and draft a quarterback somewhere between rounds 3-7. Prior to the season starting, the poorer performing veteran free agent will be released leading to an opening day depth chart of Mark Sanchez, Remaining Free Agent Veteran and mid-round rookie.
2. Running Back - Shonn Greene will leave in free agency, either signing in Detroit, St. Louis or Denver. The Jets will sign either Bernard Scott or Felix Jones and then draft a running back somewhere between rounds 1-3. It wouldn’t be shocking if Joe McKnight doesn’t make the opening day roster, as Bilal Powell, a free agent and the rookie will platoon.
3. Wide Receiver - The contract situation with Santonio Holmes will be resolved and he will be on the team in 2013, leading the receiving group along with Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill and Braylon Edwards who will sign a cheap deal. The team will also draft a receiver, likely in the later rounds.
4. Tight End - Dustin Keller is going to leave in free agency. Jeff Cumberland will be back on his recently signed tender. The Jets will sign Brent Celek if he is released and also draft a tight end before the 4th round.
5. Offensive Line - Brandon Moore is going to leave in free agency, leading to the Jets finding a way to bring back Matt Slauson. They will also sign Geoff Schwartz for depth purposes and as a veteran placeholder at Guard if they don’t land one in the Draft who is ready to start. Austin Howard will be brought back. The team will end up drafting a Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round.
6. Defensive Line - Sione Pou’ha is going to be released. Mike DeVito is going to be brought back. The team will likely not Draft any player for the defensive line, if they do it will be late.
7. Linebacker - The Jets will use their first round pick on an outside linebacker/pass rusher. They will also spend a mid-round pick on another linebacker and sign a low cost veteran, like Antwan Barnes, Shaun Phillips or Victor Butler.
8. Secondary - Darrelle Revis is going to be traded, most likely to the San Francisco 49ers or the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Jets will get a 2013 first rounder, a 2013 mid-rounder and a 2014 conditional pick. The Jets will sign a veteran corner to help ease the transition into post-Revis life. In the secondary, Yeremiah Bell will be brought back on a cheap one year deal and due to the influx of safeties in the free agency pool, LaRon Landry will also be brought back on a 3-4 million per year contract.
9. Special Teams - Nick Folk will be brought back.
10. Potential Opening Day Offensive Depth Chart
QB – Mark Sanchez, David Garrard/Kevin Kolb/Brady Quinn, Mid-Round Draft Pick
RB – Bilal Powell, Bernard Scott/Felix Jones, Early Draft Pick
WR – Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, Braylon Edwards, Late Round Draft Pick
TE – Brent Celek (if released), Jeff Cumberland, Mid-Round Draft Pick
OG – Matt Slauson, Geoff Schwartz, Early Round Draft Pick, Vladimir Ducasse
OT – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Austin Howard, Geoff Schwartz, Late Round Pick
C – Nick Mangold
11. Potential Opening Day Defensive Depth Chart
DE – Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Mike DeVito
NT – Kenrick Ellis, Damon Harrison, Mike DeVito
OLB – First Round Draft Pick, Antwan Barnes/Shaun Phillips, Mid-Round Draft Pick, Garret McIntyre
ILB – David Harris, Demario Davis, Josh Mauga, Nick Bellore
CB – Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Aaron Berry, Free Agent, Darrin Walls, Ellis Lankster
S – LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell, Antonio Allen, Josh Bush
12. Draft Pick Usage
1A – Outside Linebacker
1B – Running Back
2 – Offensive Guard
3 – Tight End
4A – Linebacker
4B – Quarterback
5 – Wide Receiver
6 – Cornerback
7 – Offensive Lineman