Thank you for reading the newest edition of 'How to Beat the Goalie'. Tonight, the Nashville Predators will be taking on the Los Angeles Kings for the final time this season. Surprisingly, in eight editions of 'How to Beat the Goalie', three of them have been about the Kings' goalies. Jonathan Bernier and Jonathan Quick will be analyzed with in-depth stats and video. Enjoy!
Edition 8: Los Angeles Kings goalies, Jonathan Quick and Jonathan Bernier
As I am writing this, the Los Angeles Kings are playing the Anaheim Ducks. That means that L.A. is playing back-to-back nights as they play Nashville Saturday night. Jonathan Quick received the start against the Ducks, so that can only mean that Jonathan Bernier will get the start against the Predators, Saturday.
The projected starting goalie is Jonathan Bernier. Bernier is a young goaltender, 23, that has the Predators number. In six starts against Nashville, Bernier has won five of the meetings. Jonathan Bernier is looking to make his first start since March 8 against, a lousy, Columbus Blue Jackets, where he gave up three goals in the loss. Bernier has only made 14 appearances in the crease this season, which is terrible because he is very talented in between the pipes.
Here is how the Nashville Predators will score on starting goalie, Jonathan Bernier.
- Rebounds: Bernier has to work on his control of the puck. There are loose pucks that need to be shot in. Bodies need to go to the net often to pick up the garbage goals.
- Bad Angles on His Left: I said this once, and I will say it again. Bernier is easily beat when a player comes down on the left of him. Bad angles will kill you in this league. Watch the snipers of this team (Andrei, Sergei, and Martin Erat) try to score on that side.
Here is Jonathan Bernier's stats for the 2011-2012 season:
Here is Jonathan Bernier's career stats vs Nashville:Name W L OT SO SV % GAA Jonathan Bernier 5 1 0 1 .933 2.00
It seems like Jonathan Quick will get the night off against the Nashville Predators as he played last night against the Anaheim Ducks. Quick has played in the last two meetings, while Bernier played in the first meeting. Here is how the Predators will score on him, if he was to be in the game, or start, for some reason.
- Movement: Jonathan Quick isn't good at his movement on the crease. Quick has tendency to "over-push" is way out of position. This all starts with quick passing, which Nashville has to have.
- Shoot High: This goes along with movement. When Quick does his power slide across the crease, he almost just slides on his belly. He gets really low and the top part of the net is open for goals.
- Quick shot from the left: This isn't in Nashville's identity most of the time, but it better come out. Just shoot! Quick's angles aren't there on his left side.
Here is Jonathan Quick's stats in the 2011-2012 season:Name W L OT SO SV % GAA Jonathan Quick 29 19 11 7 .929 2.00
Here is Jonathan Quick's career stats vs Nashville:Name W L OT SO SV % GAA Jonathan Quick 1 4 1 0 .888 3.17
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?