Nashville Predators 3 vs Anaheim Ducks 1
The Nashville Predators finish the game strong by scoring three goals in the third period. This quote comes to mind, "It isn't how you start, its how you finish." and the Predators did that tonight. A sloppy start turned into a great ending.
With that win tonight, the Nashville Predators have jumped the hated, Detroit Red Wings in the Western Conference standing. Nashville is now in 4th place and if the playoffs started today, they would have home ice advantage, which is huge.
All I wanted from this road trip was a 2-1-1 record, 5 points in 4 games. That was all I wanted, which is generous. Nashville went 2-1-1 on this road trip, which is what I asked. Not a bad job, as they made progress in the standings.
Jordin Tootoo Not Scratched
Fan favorite in Smashville, Jordin Tootoo, is being called out by some of his best fans due to his lack of play. Tootoo is now in Smashville's dog house, but we aren't sure if he is in Barry Trotz's dog house, yet.
Apparently not, as Trotz has been giving him a lot of chances to upgrade his play by giving him ice time. Players like Matt Halischuk, Brandon Yip, Colin Wilson, Jack Maclellan, Gabriel Bourque, Brian McGrattan and Craig Smith, haven't been given the opportunities like Tootoo.
Jordin Tootoo had an okay game tonight as he didn't make too many plays, but he made a couple of good hits. Here is his stats of the night.
His game has definitely been better and I believe Jack Maclellan should be given a chance in the NHL. His Grade: D+
Gabriel Bourque Upgraded
Barry Trotz was switching up the lines in the locker room at the second intermission. The first line and third line were both switched up. Gabriel Bourque was promoted the first line to play along side Patric Hornqvist and David Legwand. Andrei Kostitsyn was demoted to the third line to play along with Brandon Yip and Craig Smith.
The first line was in sync as every time they went onto the ice, they generated scoring chances. Even generated this beauty (shown in the video), as entering into the zone after a delayed off-sides. Hornqvist went to the net, Bourque went low, and Legwand stayed high waiting for the drop pass from Bourque. Let the video take you from there...
I am worried about what Andrei Kostitsyn's response to being demoted the third line will be. Hopefully it isn't a problem, and shouldn't be as Alexander Radulov will be returning to the NHL, where he will most likely play on the third line.
I am hoping that Andrei Kostitsyn works harder by scoring and crashing the net more often. Tonight was definitely an off night for him, as he didn't even record a shot on net. I am expecting a change Tuesday night.
At the End of the Day
Here is your new look to the Western Conference standing. Nashville is now in sole possession of 4th place.
Top 3 teams are division leaders.
Yellow = Clinched Playoff Berth
Line Up Report
Predators Scratches: #59 D Roman Josi (Upper Body), #28 C Paul Gaustad (Upper Body), #72 W Jack Maclellan, #23 W Brian McGrattan, #33 C Colin Wilson and #49 D Ryan Ellis
Ducks Scratches: #16 W George Parros, #32 D Toni Lydman and #39 W Matt Beleskey
Period By Period Summary
- 1:39 in, Lubomir Visnovsky fired his shot off the post to the right of Anders Lindback.
- 6:10 in, Bobby Ryan was sent to the penalty box for high-sticking Francis Bouillon. It was only a minor.
- 7:32 in, Ryan Getzlaf and Devante Smith-Pelly went on a 2 on 1 against Shea Weber. Getzlaf passed to Smith-Pelly, who scored short-handed, to make it 1-0 Ducks.
- 8:10 in, Bobby Ryan's penalty was killed off.
- 10:33 in, the Nashville Predators registered their first shot of the game. Patric Hornqvist's break-away attempt was unsuccessful.
- The first period ended with Anaheim leading, 1-0. The Ducks led in shots, 9-8.
- 0:33 in, Martin Erat was drilled into Jonas Hiller by Toni Luca Sbisa. The net and Hiller's mask both came off. Erat went to the box for goalie interference, even though he was led into him.
- 2:33 in, Martin Erat's penalty was killed off.
- 3:26 in, Anders Lindback robbed Jason Blake of a sure goal. Blake was shocked and in awe.
- 9:25 in, a defensive breakdown by the Nashville Predators allowed Kyle Palmieri to have a break-away on Lindback. Lindy was up to the challenge and stopped Palmieri.
- Around 13:00 in, Sergei Kostitsyn went to the dressing room after he blocked a shot from a Pred D-man. He came back shortly after.
- 16:04 in, Bobby Ryan went to the box for interference.
- 18:04 in, Bobby Ryan's penalty was killed off. Nashville only had 1 shot on net.
- The second period ended the same as the first, 1-0 lead for the Ducks. Anaheim out-shot Nashville 13-8.
- 1:19 in, Patric Hornqvist scored off a beautiful pass from David Legwand. Hornqvist was all alone in front of Hiller, and roofed the shot, blocker-side, to tie the game up at 1.
- 10:27 in, Mike Fisher scored off a rebound from Ryan Suter's shot. Suter's shot was stopped by Hiller, but trickled behind him. Fisher knocked the puck home to take the lead, 2-1 Nashville.
- 13:50 in, Anders Lindback stood strong as he stopped a one-time shot.
- 14:21 in, Kyle Palmieri received a pass from the corner, all alone. Palmieri was stopped by Lindback, great save.
- 15:48 in, Nick Splaing was on a break-away, but was held by Visnovsky going towards the net. Spaling never got a shot off and drew the penalty.
- 17:48 in, Visnovsky's penalty was killed off as the Ducks PK looked more like they were on the PP.
- 18:25 in, Bruce Boudreau called a Time Out. Jonas Hiller was pulled and the Ducks had the extra attacker.
- 19:14 in, Martin Erat tried to shoot on the empty net, but was hooked by Bobby Ryan. Ryan had his third seat in the penalty box. Hiller went back to the bench.
- 19:30 in, Hiller went back to the bench.
- 19:44 in, David Legwand scored the empty net goal, no shocker there.
- Nashville wins the game 3-1. Anaheim won in the shots though, 31-27.
#9 Bobby Ryan
#8 Teemu Selanne
#10 Corey Perry
SH Devante Smith-Pelly - Getzlaf and Brookbank at 7:32 in the 1st Period
Patric Hornqvist - Legwand and Bourque at 1:19 in the 3rd
Mike Fisher - Suter and Erat at 10:27 in the 3rd
PP EN David Legwand - S. Kostitsyn and Klein at 19:44 in the 3rd
Anaheim Ducks Players to Watch:
My Three Stars of the Game
1. Anders Lindback: 30 Saves and the Win
2. Patric Hornqvist: Goal and 14:26 of TOI
3. Devante Smith-Pelly: Goal and 14:14 of TOI
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff