By Tomy Ambrogio (@SNTonyAmbrogio)
Why was Brian Burke fired?
Plenty of reasons are out there, such as:
- He was reluctant to acquire Roberto Luongo in a trade with Vancouver, as Sportsnet has reported?
- The team has a large payroll, and have never been in the playoffs during Burke’s time as GM?
- The Phil Kessel trade haunts the Leafs and will continue to do so for years?
- New ownership wanted a GM who was less vocal/confrontational?
- New ownership wanted the players to be the face of the franchise, not the loose tie wearing GM?
- A combination of all of the above?
Whatever the reason, Brian Burke’s time has GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs is over.
When he was hired in 2008, Burke called Toronto the Vatican of hockey cities – if one is a Catholic – and that running the team was “one of the most important jobs in hockey on the planet.”
Now less than 5 years later Burke is out of a job.
Burke’s hiring November 28, 2008 was met by enthusiasm. After all, he won a Stanley Cup with An...