Today, the entire hockey world got to witness what we in Philly have seen in the Pittsburgh Penguins organization since the likes of Crosby and his lackeys entered the league:
Completely classless, cheap shotting, cowards that are catered to by the referees and the NHL.
The Flyers are obviously in their heads, and today's 8-4 win and 3-0 series lead was a direct result of that. It's a great thing to see the hockey world turning on the league's beloved team and poster boy.
To the people of Pittsburgh, I have this to offer:
If you want to get the unbiased opinions of the Penguins and the Pittsburgh fanbase from fans of teams outside of Philadelphia, go to the NHL's Official Facebook page.
I went as far as giving my two cents on the matter, and I received a good response from fans in Boston, Chicago, Vancouver, Florida, New York, and obviously Philadelphia:
Like I said, I couldn't be happier that what the hockey world witnessed on national television happened today. The Flyers basically exploited the Penguins, and exposed their cheap, classless style of play. No matter what the NHL and its officials want to say about Crosby and the Penguins after today, the entire hockey fanbase outside of Pittsburgh will know the truth.
It's gratifying to see other people seeing the true colors of the Penguins and their pretentious, fraudulent, overly-catered-to fanbase. A trip over to The Pens Blog says it all.
Anyway, the real story of today is the fact that the Flyers took a commanding 3-0 series lead. In the midst of the cheap shots, hair pulling, the late hits, and the 3rd man in fights, the Flyers maintained their composure.
That is a huge credit to Peter Laviolette, the rest of the coaching staff, and the maturity of this young team.
Here are the highlights of Sunday's game, courtesy of NHL.com:
After the countless time's we've been screwed by the league, it's so fun to watch the Penguins flounder in this series.
This is also awesome. The video below played live at Wells Fargo Center during the game. FLYERSMANIA:
You should also watch this video of Flyers fans chanting "You Can't Beat Us" towards the end of the game:
If you didn't see the game somehow, please do yourself a favor and find the encore replay. To sum up the game, here are some quick hits:
- The Flyers scored 20 goals through the first 3 game of this series. That's the highest total through the first 3 playoff games in any series in team history.
- Claude Giroux is the man (if you didn't know that already). He had 1G, 1A, and a fight with Sidney Crosby, completing the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.
- Danny Briere is Mr. Playoffs, simple as that. His 2G and 1A give him 103 career points in 101 career playoff games.
- Matt Read was the Flyers most recent rookie to have his coming out party. His 2G (firsts of his career) helped propel the Flyers to the big win today.
- Max Talbot continues to give his old team a big "F You". He had another SHG and PPG today.
- Sean Couturier is 19 years old. He's continuing to shut down the league's leading candidate for MVP. He's held Evgeni Malkin to 4 assists over 3 games and a -4 rating for the series.
- Marc-Andre Fleury got pulled after allowing 6 goals through 2 periods of play. While Ilya Bryzgalov hasn't been the best goaltender in the playoffs, he's doing what it takes to get the job done and keep his team on top.
- If Aaron Asham, James Neal, and Craig Adams are not suspended for their cheap shots today, this league has completely lost control of its players.
After it's all said and done, the Flyers enter Wednesday's Game 4 matchup in Philadelphia with a commanding 3-0 series lead. The best they can do is keep their composure, stick to their game, and end the series Wednesday night.
The best revenge they can get on this Pittsburgh team full of cowards is by putting an end to their season.
There's nothing quite like playoff hockey.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff