Euro Cup 2012 is down to the final 8 as the knockout round of the tournament begins. We rank the remaining teams on their chance to be crowned champions.
1. Germany- This younger version of the German team has proven to be the most consistent team of the tournament so far. They are seemingly able to score whenever they need a goal and are the only team to have earned all 9 points from group play.
2. Spain- The defending World Cup and Euro Cup champions have all the star power to extend their reign as champions. However, they have yet to resemble the dominant team they were two years ago.
3. Portugal- It took Europe’s best player, Christiano Ronaldo, until the third group match to finally show up as he led the dismantling of the Dutch. If the Portuguese can repeat these dominant, attacking performances, don’t be surprised if Ronaldo is holding his first major international trophy in July.
4. Italy- The Azzurri were unlucky to not have earned more points from group play. They are a well-organized side and will be difficult to defeat in knockout play.
5. England- Will this be the year England finally wins a major tournament again? It’s possible. If they do though, it won’t be by playing the most beautiful soccer.
6. France- France was looking like a strong championship contender until their 0-2 loss to Sweden exposed many weaknesses.
7. Czech Republic- After losing 4-1 on opening day, the Czech Republic are lucky to have made the knockout stage.
8. Greece- Can lightning strike twice for Greece? The team is attempting to duplicate its magical 2004 championship run.