Out-of-contract midfielder Ryan Burge has opened the door for Peterborough to reignite their interest in signing him.
The 24-year-old, released by Port Vale last month following a fall-out with the club, was subject to a six-figure bid in the January transfer window.
Vale rejected the enquiry but, with Burge now a free agent, he would welcome a renewed approach.
"I have had a lot of interest," he said. "In January time there was Peterborough that were pretty keen on taking me, so now I am out of contract there is no fee it makes it a lot more appealing to a club.
"That was in January, but Peterborough are obviously a massive club. It's disappointing that they have come down but I am sure they will bounce back up."
Despite hinting at a move to Posh, Burge feels he is capable of playing in the Championship and is keen to prove people wrong.
"I am confident I could do a job at Championship level," he added. "It's a lot easier to go into the Championship level when you have had more experience.
"I have obviously had games and won a promotion so now I am in a better position to make that step up."
However, The FA has been warned to take "preventative measures" after anti-discrimination body FARE reported the singing of an abusive song, which called for Rio and Anton Ferdinand to be burned on a bonfire, to FIFA following the World Cup qualifier.
FIFA today said there would be no action due to a lack of evidence.
A FIFA statement said: "We can confirm that in the case of alleged racist chanting during the recent World Cup qualifier San Marino vs England, it has been decided not to open disciplinary proceedings due to the lack of concluding evidence.
"The FA's attention was however drawn on the pertinent provisions of the FIFA regulations and they were requested to display prudence and adopt appropriate preventive measures in order to avoid that incidents of such nature do occur in the future."
Rio Ferdinand had incurred the anger of some England fans after pulling out of the international squad at short notice, but the fact that his brother Anton was also targeted raised concerns given that he was the victim of racist abuse by former England captain John Terry.
The 24-year-old saw his contract terminated three weeks before the end of the season after a fall-out with the club due to an incident ahead of a game at Bristol Rovers.
Burge, who made 37 appearances prior to his release, missed out on the promotion party as Micky Adams' side finished third in League Two, but takes pride in his contribution to Vale's success.
"Obviously it wasn't great the way it ended, but on a personal note it was a great achievement to win promotion with the club," he said.
"I played a lot of games throughout the season and to get promotion at the end of it was superb."
Vale's success came as a surprise to many given their recent financial problems, but Burge knew there was plenty of potential at Vale Park.
"Everyone at the club was pulling at the right direction, everyone knew we had been written off, but everyone came in and worked hard," he added.
"I knew at the start of the season when I saw the quality in the dressing room that we were capable of doing well."
On-loan Fulham striker Trotta, 20, insisted on taking the last-minute spot-kick which would have fired the Bees to automatic promotion on the final day of the season ahead of skipper and designated penalty-taker Kevin O'Connor.
But he crashed his effort against the crossbar and Doncaster broke away to score at the other end and seal the League One title.
However, Trotta put in a fine performance as Brentford won their play-off semi-final against Swindon on penalties following a thrilling 3-3 draw on Monday.
They face Yeovil in the final at Wembley a week on Sunday and Trotta admitted: "You feel very disappointed and you want to give something back to the team and the fans.
"You have to give everything you've got and fight for your life and the team did the same and that's why we won.
"We've got another game to go. We've got the final. I think the lads put in a great effort. They've done unbelievably well. As a team, I think they're great.
"I think the fans have been great. Even after last Saturday they've been great in supporting me and the team. They were behind us and pushed us up for one more. Wembley will be an unforgettable experience."
United confirmed in a statement on Wednesday morning that Ferguson would retire this summer after more than 26 years in charge.
Moyes has long been tipped as a possible successor to English football's most successful manager but the Scot has now moved into pole position to take the Old Trafford helm.
His Everton contract runs out in the summer and no agreement has been reached over a new deal.
The 50-year-old has previously said that he wanted to wait until the end of this campaign before deciding whether to extend his time at Goodison Park into a 12th year.
Moyes has brought stability and consistency on a relatively small budget to the Merseysiders and is viewed by United chiefs as a man who, like his fellow Scot, values youth development and longevity.
Everton have yet to comment on the speculation.
Jose Mourinho, widely expeced to replace Rafa Benitez at Chelsea, and Jurgen Klopp, who has led Borussia Dortmund to the Champions League final, are also leading fancies with the bookmakers.
Joe Cole - Mitchell's brother-in-law - was joined by Matt Jarvis, Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan, James Collins and Andy Carroll for the game in memory of the former Stevenage player who died from a heart condition last year aged 27.
Jarvis scored twice while Noble, Nolan, Collins and Carroll were also on target for the Mitchell Cole XI, who beat Boro X1 7-4.
A Boro spokesman said: "Stevenage FC would like to thank each and every fan that came to the game, as well as all of the players who took part.
"Special thanks must also go to West Ham United and Liverpool for allowing their players to take part in the game, which raised money and awareness for the Cardiomyopathy Association."