Roberto Di Matteo says he wanted Victor Moses "years ago" as the 21-year-old prepares for his full Chelsea debut on Tuesday.
After adding Oscar and Eden Hazard to his ranks, many were surprised Di Matteo pushed ahead with a ?9million deal to sign Moses from Wigan this summer.
The Nigeria international has impressed during his brief time at Stamford Bridge with two excellent substitute performances, and he is now expected to go in to the Blues' starting line-up for Tuesday night's Capital One Cup clash against Wolves.
And had Di Matteo had his way, the former Crystal Palace player would have been playing under his command a lot sooner.
"He's young and he'll still improve and develop but he's an exciting player that I tried very hard to sign, not just this year but previously as well, years ago," said the Italian, who had spells at West Brom and MK Dons before moving to Stamford Bridge.
"He's a player I like very much and he will have a big influence in our season. He's strong at...