Sammartino explains his HOF acceptance:
Wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino further explained his reasons for finally accepting WWE’s Hall of Fame offer, after being critical of the company for so many years. He told CBS News that WWE’s Wellness Policy is a one of the main factors, as is the switch to PG.
Sammartino was one of Vince’s main critics during past drug scandals.
Rocky proud son could move beyond race:
WWE Hall of Famer Rocky Johnson said he was proud that his son The Rock was able to have a career without any racial problems. He told the TBO.com website:
“No one ever talks about the color of Dwayne’s skin. That is what makes what I did so important to me. I like to think I proved a wrestler’s skin color doesn’t matter. I’m glad my son doesn’t have to be labeled black or Samoan or mixed. He has instead been labeled as the best.”
Johnson explained what it was like for Black wrestlers in the South during his day:
“By being a stereotype, they thought white fans would cheer for them because they weren’t threatening, so they would dance to the ring with a bucket of fried chicken and talking like, ‘Yessa.’ I wouldn’t demean myself. I spoke articulately. I told people I was a great athlete and told all the kids — white and black — that they needed to eat right, study and listen to their parents. I proved that white people would cheer for a black man who was portrayed as their equal. Not only did I get over in the South, but I did so on my terms.”
More Raw news and notes:
- The voting for last night’s Raw Active poll for CM Punk’s opponent was at least partly legit. As shown on the broadcast the WWE App crashed midway through, prompting the poll to be moved on to WWE.com, where things are a bit more sketchy. CM Punk commented on Twitter:
“Shocked people are tweeting that the voting on the wwe app isn’t working correctly. Shocked.”
According to the Wrestling Observer WWE knew Mysterio would not win and had already planned for his match with Daniel Bryan. They thought either Orton or Jericho could have picked up the vote, so Orton’s ten-billionth match with Wade Barrett may have been a last minute decision.
- In other Raw news celebrities in attendance from Atlanta included rapper Lil’ Scrappy, Chili of R&B group TLC, singer Bobby V, and Armond Smith & Byron Bell of the Carolina Panthers. Bell and Smith were there as guests of Titus O’Neil.
- For those that didn’t watch the show Jack Swagger’s Ankle Lock is now being called the Patriot Act, after the controversial Government legislation.
- Chris Jericho Tweeted the following images of his chest following the match with CM Punk:
- Seth Rollins responded to John Cena’s challenge on Twitter:
“Be careful what you wish for Johnny. #believeintheshield #EliminationChamber”
It is now confirmed that Cena, Ryback & Sheamus will face The Shield at Elimination Chamber in a 6-man-tag.
Photo of McMahon before hip surgery:
The official WWE Twitter account posted a photo of Vince McMahon prior to his hip surgery last Friday. The surgery was legit and was planned weeks before the Brock Lesnar angle. Intiailly the storyline was that he broke his pelvis, but CM Punk worked the real life hip surgery in to his Raw promo last night…
“The Chairman, pre-surgery. (“Mr. McMahon, watch out for that bedpan!”)”