An affidavit for the circumstances surrounding Alec Baldwin firing a prop gun that accidentally killed 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured 48-year-old director Joel Souza has been released.
Variety's Brett Lang relayed what happened on the set of Rust last Thursday (Oct. 21):
"Souza, who was also injured in the on-set accident, said that the cast and crew had been assured that Baldwin was handling a 'cold gun,' meaning it had no live rounds. Safety protocols on the set required that the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, checked to make sure that the barrel was empty, with her work double-checked by Rust assistant director Dave Halls before the firearm was handed to the actors. Souza and Hutchins were standing behind the camera to see the angle. Baldwin was sitting on a wooden pew facing south towards the camera and crew, outfitted in Western garb. After noticing a shadow, Souza and Hutchins repositioned their gear and were talking with Baldwin, who was showing them how he planned to pull the gun from his holster when it discharged."
Anatoly Androsovych, Hutchins' father, previously told The Sun that he and the family "don't hold Alec Baldwin responsible—it is the responsibility of the props people who handle the guns."
Baldwin broke his silence Friday:
1-— AlecBaldwin(HABF) (@AlecBaldwin) October 22, 2021
There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours. I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and
2- I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.— AlecBaldwin(HABF) (@AlecBaldwin) October 22, 2021
Hutchins shared nine-year-old son Andros with her husband, Matthew.
Production on Rust has been suspended indefinitely (h/t People).