The next time Doug Melvin has a bug in his house, he might think twice before trying to get rid of it with his hands.
According to MLB.com, the Milwaukee Brewers general manager was having dinner with his wife at their Arizona condo on Wednesday when a bug crawled across the floor. Melvin attempted to get rid of the bug with tissue, but little did he know it was one of Arizona's dangerous scorpions.
The scorpion stung Melvin on the middle finger and he soon learned it wasn't a normal bug bite. According to MLB.com, Melvin took to Google and found out he had been stung by an Arizona bark scorpion.
"I got nervous when all of the numbness started getting up in the shoulder area," Melvin told MLB.com. "You think, 'Can this thing go to your heart?' They said you can lose your breathing, your vision can be a problem. None of that happened to me."
After spending a few hours in the hospital Wednesday night, the Brewers reported Melvin was back at work at Maryvale Baseball Park on Thursday morning.
According to the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, Arizona bark scorpions are usually two to three inches long and the only species of scorpion in Arizona whose bite is considered life-threatening.
Follow Andrew Gruman on Twitter.