Found May 06, 2013 on
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini will not change his decision to leave Joe Hart out of his side for the FA Cup final.
Mancini has made it clear the England number one will not be in his starting line-up to face Wigan at Wembley on Saturday, preferring to reward Costel Pantilimon for his performances in getting City to Wembley.
The Romanian has played in all of City's domestic cup fixtures this season, and Mancini believes it would be unfair to alter his selection policy, despite Hart's disappointment.
When asked if he may be tempted to pick Hart for the final, the Italian said: "I don't think so, we decided this at the start of the season. Pantilimon deserves to play.
"Joe won the FA Cup two years ago, he won the Premier League last year, he is the best keeper in England and I think he should be happy his second keeper can play in a big game.
"I know he wants to play but we decided at the start of the season it was important for Pantilimon to play in the two cups."City stuttered to a goalless draw with Swansea on Saturday, with Edin Dzeko and David Silva missing great chances to claim all three points.
Mancini admitted Dzeko's miss from four yards summed up a season where City's lack of goals has cost them; the Blues have found the net 61 times so far this season, compared to 87 at this stage last term.
But the Italian does not believe the decision to sell Mario Balotelli to AC Milan in January played a part in their failure to retain the league title.
Balotelli had scored just two league goals before moving to the San Siro, but has been in prolific form since, scoring eight in nine appearances.
Mancini said: "For Mario it was better to go back to Italy and even with Mario I think the season would have been the same."
He added: "It is difficult when you consider why you don't score enough goals. Last year we scored 20 goals more than this season and we are missing them, it's too many.
"If we had scored another 10-20 goals we could have been fighting for the league."
But Mancini was cagey when asked if a striker was on his summer shopping list.
"We can't know which player can score 25 goals next year. If we knew that we would be magicians," he said.
"We have good players and were unlucky this season. Now it is important we win the FA Cup and then try to improve our team."
BEST OF MAXIM
Roberto Mancini was pleased to see Manchester City take a 1-0 win from a testing encounter with West Bromwich Albion.
City made eight changes to their starting XI in midweek, with one eye firmly locked on Saturday's FA Cup final date with Wigan Athletic.
A slow start suggested Mancini had shuffled his pack too vigorously, but the Blues settled into the game and could have had...
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed his liking for Roma defender Marquinhos.
The 18-year-old Brazilian only joined the Serie A giants in the summer from Corinthians, but he has emerged a first-team regular.
Now considered one of the best young defenders in Italy, City have been linked with a possible summer swoop - but Mancini does not think Roma will sell.
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini may opt to shuffle his pack for Tuesday's Premier League clash with West Brom at the Etihad Stadium.
Mancini, whose side face Wigan in the FA Cup final four days after the Albion match, rested striker Carlos Tevez by dropping him to the bench for Saturday's 0-0 league draw at Swansea, while midfielder Yaya Toure was withdrawn at half...
Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fernandinho has openly expressed his desire to become a Manchester City player.
City boss Roberto Mancini has already admitted an interest in the Brazilian and the player himself is also keen to head to the Premier League in search of a higher profile.
"I believe my chances of making the World Cup squad will improve if I join City," said the...
Manchester City warmed up for the FA Cup final with a win, edging out West Bromwich Albion 1-0 in the Premier League on Tuesday.
Roberto Mancini made eight changes to his starting XI, with a trip to Wembley on Saturday in mind, but he saw City recover from a slow start to stamp their authority on proceedings and take the lead through Edin Dzeko's controlled volley.
Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair has undergone surgery to remove a blood clot in his shoulder.
Sinclair was taken to hospital after feeling unwell last Friday and the 24-year-old required an operation after the blood clot was discovered.
He remains in hospital, but is expected to be discharged at the weekend and will return for a check-up in about a month.