Originally written on NESN.com  |  Last updated 11/5/14
After three days of marathon meetings between the owners and players – without outside influence on either side — there seemed to be some promise in the ongoing NHL lockout discussions. And then, it was gone. On Thursday evening, a group of 16 players met with Donald and Steve Fehr to discuss the talks that took place without them earlier in the week, according to Comcast Sportnet. An hour later, deputy commissioner Bill Daly — one of only two NHL members in attendance — returned to the league offices with the latest proposal from the players association. The Fehrs addressed the media around 6 p.m. on Thursday, and thought the players had made strong strides towards reaching a deal. “We think there is a complete agreement on dollars, there shouldn’t be much reason why we can’t get an agreement in the near term. Players have gone a very, very long way.” Cue the optimism that the NHL could potentially return in 2012. Fehr also addressed that he believed that the players had agreed to the “make-whole” agreement that the NHL proposed a few weeks back. As a result, the $300 million difference would be made up in the players’ pension plan. Also outlined in the proposal from the players was contract length for the proposed CBA lasting eight years with an opt-out clause after six. The NHL originally outlined a 10-year contract. The players also moved on the length of contract stipulation, reducing their outline to a seven-year deal for players re-signing with their team. The NHL looked to have a five-year limit on contracts. With all that being said, the players left the press conference — but returned in less than an hour to the podium. But this time, the news was much more grim. The NHL (reportedly Daly) left a voice mail for Steve Fehr that the players latest steps were “unacceptable.” Don Fehr: It's not positive. We were advised in a voice mail message that the moves the players made were not acceptable.— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) December 07, 2012 After Fehr addressed the media following the phone call, commissioner Bettman entered the discussions, and the two sides held a joint press-conference where the news went from grim to bad to worse. Bettman spoke about the players’ latest proposal as “not acceptable” and he cannot envision a scenario “playing less than a 48-game season,” according to ESPN. Interestingly, Bettman also accused Fehr of “using spin to make it appear the two sides are closer than where the league thinks they are.” With all this being said, it looks as though the negotiations between the league and players has hit another snag, with no more discussions scheduled for the remainder of this week — or any time for that matter. In even more interesting news, reports say that Ron Hainsey was told by the NHL that bringing (Donald) Fehr back into the room could be a “deal-breaker.”
GET THE YARDBARKER APP:
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45
MORE FROM YARDBARKER

Bengals troll Browns with April Fools’ Day joke

Malcolm Jenkins on McCoy trade: Could've gotten more

Does Romo restructure pave the way for Peterson?

Todd Gurley: 2015 NFL Draft Profile

Colts' Robert Mathis hopes to be back by training camp

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
GET THE DAILY NEWSLETTER:

LeBron thought Kyrie was a ballhog when season started

Muhammad Ali rooting for a Pacquiao win over Mayweather

Report: Cowboys to restructure Tony Romo's contract

Blake Griffin frustrated with lack of fan support at home

Eli Manning expects Giants' offense to take off in 2015

Bruce Irvin apologizes for DUI April Fools' joke

Albert, Costas and Michaels to work together for the first time

A’s closer buying tickets to fill stands at LGBT Pride Night

13 U.S. senators call on FIFA to strip Russia of 2018 World Cup

The San Antonio Spurs are beautiful again

Auriemma blasts men’s college basketball: ‘The game is a joke’

Westbrook: I'm not Angry Man off the court, I'm a chill guy

Fourth man sentenced in 2007 killing of Sean Taylor

Players who could have their arbitration years bought out

Rookie of the Year: Should there be a winner?

What's next for the Phoenix Suns?

Aaron Rodgers to appear on celebrity version of 'Jeopardy!'

Dark horse Cy Young candidates

All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

By clicking "Sign Me Up", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Digital Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can opt out at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
the YARDBARKER app
Get it now!
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45

Dark horse Cy Young candidates

Final Four fact or fiction

Why WrestleMania 31 was an all-time great

Five worst QB situations in NFL

WATCH: Curry drops CP3 with crossover

Durant wants to spend career in OKC

This isn’t Tom Izzo’s greatest March masterpiece

Are the Angels being overlooked?

Top 20 players in the Final Four

Report: Tiger's plane spotted in Augusta

Moss shares story on meeting Deion

Five coaches already on the hot seat

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.