Found May 16, 2013 on Fox Soccer:
Football-fulham-wigan
Reading goalkeeper Alex McCarthy admits his first England call-up is a dream come true but recognises he may need Premier League football to ensure his international future. The 23-year-old has been included in Roy Hodgson's 22-man party for the forthcoming friendlies against Republic of Ireland and Brazil. And McCarthy, who will compete with fellow shot-stoppers Ben Foster and Joe Hart for a playing role in the games, is understandably delighted. "I am over the moon to get the call," he told Sky Sports. "Growing up as a young boy, you dream of playing for your country. I have got that opportunity now." McCarthy earned his selection after impressing Hodgson despite Reading's relegation from the Premier League. The form of the goalkeeper, who has two years left on his contract at the Madejski Stadium, has also caught the eye of Liverpool among other clubs if reports are to be believed. But while McCarthy knows staying in the Premier League would boost his England credentials ahead of the 2014 World Cup, he is in no rush to leave Reading. "Obviously it is going to help," he said when asked about staying in the top flight to aid in international future. "It is where the best players are. It gives you more opportunity of playing for the national team. "But I have still got two years left at Reading. They are my club at the moment so we will have to see what the future holds." The former City, Arsenal and France midfielder has been working as football development executive at the Etihad Stadium since retiring as a player two years ago. The move to take charge of what is effectively the City reserve team follows the departures of manager Roberto Mancini and a number of his backroom staff this week. Attilio Lombardo, the former Italy, Sampdoria and Crystal Palace player, had been the coach primarily responsible for the EDS. Vieira's move from an administrative position underlines his desire to move into coaching after completing his UEFA B licence last year. The 36-year-old, who will officially take up the role on June 1, said: "After spending two years working across a number of areas of the club and with a particular focus on the youth academy, I feel honoured and privileged to have been offered this role. "This marks a new chapter both in my career and in my life and I am looking forward to it immensely. "My passion for the development of young talent has only grown in my time at City and I am pleased to be able to play my part in helping to shape the footballing future for Manchester City."Vieira, who is now hoping to attain his A licence, won the World Cup as a player in 1998 and the European Championship two years later among 107 international appearances. He won nine domestic league titles including three with Arsenal, with whom he also won the FA Cup four times. A fifth FA Cup came at the end of his career with City in 2011. City chief executive Ferran Soriano said: "Patrick is a world champion and it is a great honour that he has chosen Manchester City to begin his football management career. "I have seen him carefully considering options and choosing to coach for the best reasons; he has a love of the game and a willingness to continue to learn and transmit his knowledge and experience to young footballers. "Patrick's role is of the highest long term importance for the Club. "The ability of the Academy, the elite development squad and the first team to work together using the same football concepts is key to our success and sustainability." Soriano's statement suggests, as had been rumoured, that the club are intending to implement the same style of play from junior sides up to the first team. In the statement which announced Mancini's sacking on Monday, the club had also referred to a desire to "develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the club". Vieira's appointment also indicates that the first-team manager will have less influence over the coaching of other parts of the club in future. Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain, both former Barcelona executives, arrived at City earlier this season and the changes they intend to make are starting to become apparent. Mancini's exit on Monday was followed by that of first-team coach David Platt, his former Sampdoria team-mate. Defensive specialist Angelo Gregucci, Ivan Carminati, Fausto Salsano, Massimo Battara have also left along with Lombardo. Manuel Pellegrini, who has indicated a desire to leave Malaga at the end of the season, is the firm favourite to succeed Mancini. City are also reported to be interested in Malaga midfielder Isco, with whom Pellegrini shares an agent. The Columbian has been linked with the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United in recent months as well as, most recently, Monaco. But Falcao, 27, has played down the rumours ahead of Atletico's Copa del Rey final against city rivals Real Madrid on Friday. "I don't know anything, and the only thing that I have in my mind and keep concentration is on Atletico de Madrid. "I don't know anything. I keep myself apart of what is being said. If it was for the press, I have already been transferred to all the teams in Europe like Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United. "I don't find true any news that is being said about me". He added: "Last year happened the same. During the Final at Bucarest was said that if we didn't get qualified to the Champions League I was going to leave Madrid. "The only real thing is that I am in contract until 2016, all the rest is only speculation. I don't know anything about Monaco, I have my mind focused where I am ". The Uruguayan is believed to have had a series of disagreements with the club's board over his transfer budget for the summer. But Brighton declined to reveal the reasons behind the suspension of Poyet, who has three years remaining on his current contract. A club statement read: "Brighton & Hove Albion has confirmed that it has suspended its manager, assistant manager, and its first team coach from their duties. "The club will now follow its internal procedures with regard to this matter and will make no further comment at this time." Poyet's future on the south coast was already the subject of intense speculation linking him to a number of vacancies. He admitted he was "considering his options" following Brighton's play-off semi-final defeat by Crystal Palace on Monday. The 45-year-old is reportedly on Everton's shortlist to replace David Moyes when he departs to take over at Manchester United in the summer, while Stoke and Fulham are also reported to be interested should they dispose of their current managers this summer. Poyet's suspension comes on the day he was nominated for the Championship Manager of the Month award after the Seagulls went unbeaten in April, recording three wins and three draws to finish fourth.
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Quartet set for Millers exit

England manager Roy Hodgson respects and understands Rio Ferdinand's decision to slip into international retirement. The Manchester United defender announced on Wednesday that he no longer wishes to be considered by his country, after earning 81 caps. He feels that, at the age of 34, the time is right to step aside and let the next generation of talent cement their standing...
All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.