LOS ANGELES Victor Ortiz' immediate future might have been mapped out well in advance of Saturday night, but in boxing it never makes sense to plan too far ahead.
Ortiz was already scheduled to fight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in September on pay per view for the WBC super welterweight title. The fight was already made and the venue was picked out.
Then, the unexpected happened. Ortiz was left sitting on his stool at the end of the ninth round at Staples Center after complaining that his jaw had been broken by Josesito Lopez. Ortiz and his corner agreed he should not continue.
Now what? Maybe it's Lopez who will get a shot at Alvarez, the young Mexican phenom who was sitting at ringside.
Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, who is Ortiz' promoter, said Lopez deserves a shot at the title.
"I think he does," he said. "What a courageous fighter. He has a lot of heart. He deserves to fight Canelo Alvarez."
It certainly won't be Ortiz, who has had a miserable nine months. He was ...