Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons told reporters -- including Mike Cormack of Sportsnet -- that outfielder Colby Rasmus has suffered a minor setback during the recovery from his oblique injury. Despite the setback, Gibbons said that he still expects Rasmus to rejoin the Jays this season.
#bluejays Gibbons says Rasmus suffered a 'minor setback' today with oblique injury. Gibbons still expects him to return in 2013.
— Mike Cormack (@MikeCormack) August 26, 2013
Toronto placed Rasmus on the 15-day disabled list earlier this month with what the team described as a lingering oblique injury. It was an expected move, as Rasmus hadn't been showing improvement as fast as the Blue Jays had hoped, forcing them to make the roster decision.
As we've seen in the past, oblique injuries can prove tricky. It's unclear how the setback was sustained, but they usually happen when a player attempts to return to action too soon. It's also not clear how much the setback will delay Rasmus' return, but there's a chance that he'll have to be shutdown until whatever discomfort he's experiencing subsides.
Since coming over from the St. Louis Cardinals, Rasmus had mostly been ineffective for the Blue Jays. However, he was showing signs of finally hitting his stride with the team this season prior to suffering his injury. Over 439 plate appearances, the 27-year-old hit .273/.335/.478 with 26 doubles and 18 home runs.
Blue Jays' fans have unfortunately become accustomed to such injury news this season, as it's been one thing after another for Toronto.
Looking for fantasy baseball advice?