Final: Nationals 7, Phillies 3.
WP: Gio Gonzalez (21- 8, 2.89 ERA) LP: Tyler Cloyd (2-2, 4.91 ERA)
Darin "Babe" Ruf hasn't disappointed so far, being a part of the Phillies' major-league roster for the final few weeks of the season. Tonight, he proved why. He smacked a bases-clearing, three run double in the bottom of the first inning off of Nationals' lefty ace Gio Gonzalez.
Unfortunately, rookie Tyler Cloyd was shaky in his outing, allowing six runs in just five innings of work. 56 of his 90 total pitches were thrown for strikes, as he allowed two home runs to Michael Morse (15, 16) and one to Nats' phenom outfielder Bryce Harper (21). Gio Gonzalez threw well enough to pick up his major-league leading 21st victory.
You have to give it up for the fans. They sold out tonight's game, with 44,070 in attendance. The total attendance for the year racked up to 3,565,718, the most in all of Major League Baseball despite the team struggling the majority of the season.
With tonight's loss at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies have finished worse than (.500) at home for the first time in 12 years:
Very weird not seeing the sea of white rally towels in South Philadelphia at all this year.
The team now heads to Miami and then Washington to close out 2012 for the remaining six games left on the schedule. The Phils need to finish (4-2) to finish above (.500) on the year. Cliff Lee (6-8) will start in the series opener tomorrow evening, with the first pitch set for 7:10 pm EST, against Marlins' top of the rotation starter, Mark Buehrle (13-13).
Attendance: 44,070 (Sell-out).
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Gio Gonzalez: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 2.89 ERA
- Tyler Cloyd: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 3 HR, 4.91 ERA
- Sean Burnett (7th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R ,0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.44 ERA
- Tyler Clippard (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.69 ERA
- Drew Storen (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.30 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (6th, 7th): 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 1.26 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (7th, 8th): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.55 ERA
- Jake Diekman (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.10 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Nationals 1, Phillies 0): Bryce Harper homers (21) on a fly ball to right center field.
- Bottom of the 1st (Nationals 1, Phillies 3): Darin Ruf doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Bryce Harper. Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, John Mayberry score.
- Top of the 2nd (Nationals 2, Phillies 3): Michael Morse homers (15) on a fly ball to left center field.
- Top of the 4th (Nationals 3, Phillies 3): Michael Morse grounds out. Ryan Zimmerman scores.
- Top of the 5th (Nationals 4, Phillies 3): Bryce Harper singles on a line drive to left fielder Darin Ruf. Danny Espinosa scores.
- Top of the 6th (Nationals 6, Phillies 3): Michael Morse homers (16) on a fly ball to center field. Adam LaRoche scores.
- Top of the 7th (Nationals 7, Phillies 3): Ryan Zimmerman strikes out swinging. Wild pitch by pitcher Jeremy Horst. Eury Perez scores.
- Friday, September 28, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (78-78) at Miami Marlins (66-90)
- Cliff Lee (6-8, 3.18 ERA) vs. Mark Buehrle (13-13, 3.84 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff