Final: Nationals 2, Phillies 4.
WP: Kyle Kendrick (7-9, 4.12 ERA) LP: Edwin Jackson (7-9, 3.72 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (28)
The Phillies didn't waste much time scoring their first run of the series against their division-leading rival. In fact, they got things going right in the bottom of the first inning against RHP Edwin Jackson. After Jimmy Rollins singled and Kevin Frandsen walked, Chase Utley hit a RBI-single to right field, scoring Rollins on second base. The Phillies' 1-0 advantage would remain the same until the bottom of the fourth inning, when Jimmy Rollins hit a clutch two-out, two-RBI single to left field, which gave the Phillies a 3-0 lead.
Opposing starter, RHP Edwin Jackson's pitch-count sky-rocketed quickly in tonight's game. He lasted just six innings, allowing three earned runs on seven hits and two walks. Poor command was a reason for his high pitch-count, as 67 of his 107 total pitches were thrown for strikes.
RHP Kyle Kendrick, having 21 scoreless innings behind him with two outs in the seventh inning, gave up a two-run home run to the Nats' Tyler Moore. 78 of Kendrick's 115 pitches were thrown for strikes, as he allowed four hits, two runs, and two walks in his outing. Surprisingly enough, he had a 22-inning scoreless stretch earlier this season. LHP Jeremy Horst, who recently returned from paternity leave, relieved him right thereafter and recorded the final out of the inning on just two pitches.
Fittingly stated by Phillies broadcaster Chris Wheeler during tonight's broadcast, Charlie Manuel pulled a "Tony LaRussa" during the top-half of the eighth inning. He used four arms out of the bullpen- Antonio Bastardo, Josh Lindblom, Raul Valdes and B.J. Rosenberg. Combined during the bullpen's scoreless inning, they allowed one hit and one walk, while striking out three batters. The highlight of the inning was Rosenberg striking Werth out, as he failed to make contact on the 96 mph fastball high in the zone.
The Phillies picked up an essential insurance run in the bottom of the eighth inning to extend their lead to two runs, as Ryan Howard singled to right fielder Jayson Werth scoring Chase Utley on second base.
Jonathan Papelbon shut the door in the bottom of the ninth inning, and earned his 28th save of the season. He now has 247 saves in his career, 32nd all-time in MLB history.
RHP Roy Halladay (7-7) opposes LHP Gio Gonzalez (16-6) in the second game of the series. Gonzalez returns to the friendly confines of Citizens Bank Park for the second time in 2012, his first being on May 21 when he picked up his sixth win of the season. Gio was a part of the 2005 trade to the Phillies, along with center fielder Aaron Rowand and LHP Daniel Haigwood, of which exchanged slugger Jim Thome to the Chicago White Sox.
Gonzalez has been stellar against his former club in 13.0 career innings pitched, posting a (2-0) record with a 0.69 ERA. Halladay has been just as dominant against the Nats, as with 116.2 innings thrown against the franchise, Montreal included, he is (11-2) with a 2.55 ERA.
The 65th home game of the season starts at 7:05, and can be seen on CSN Philadelphia and heard of 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Attendance: 42,096 (Non-sellout).
Starting Pitching Summary:
In the 'Pen:
- Edwin Jackson: 6.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR, 3.72 ERA
- Kyle Kendrick: 6.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 4.12 ERA
- RHP Ryan Mattheus (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.37 ERA
- LHP Michael Gonzalez (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.73 ERA
- RHP Drew Storen (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.15 ERA
* Josh Lindblom failed to retire a batter during his 8th-inning appearance in tonight's game.
- LHP Jeremy Horst (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.98 ERA
- LHP Antonio Bastardo (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.40 ERA
- RHP Josh Lindblom (8th*): 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.72 ERA
- LHP Raul Valdes (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.10 ERA
- RHP B.J. Rosenberg (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 10.24 ERA
- RHP Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.75 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Nationals 0, Phillies 1): Chase Utley singles on a sharp ground ball to right fielder Jayson Werth. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Nationals 0, Phillies 3): Jimmy Rollins singles on a line drive to left fielder Roger Bernadina. John Mayberry, Laynce Nix score.
- Top of the 7th (Nationals 2, Phillies 3): Tyler Moore homers (7) on a fly ball to left field. Kurt Suzuki. scores.
- Bottom of the 8th (Nationals 2, Phillies 4): Ryan Howard singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jayson Werth. Chase Utley scores.
- Saturday, August 25, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (59-67) vs. Washington Nationals (77-48)
- Roy Halladay (7-7, 3.95 ERA) vs. Gio Gonzalez (16-6, 3.23 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.