Final: Cardinals 7, Phillies 8.
WP: Jeremy Horst (1-0, 1.13 ERA) LP: Barret Browning (0-2, 4.24 ERA)
Vance Worley hasn't necessarily exceeded expectations of him this season after having a steller rookie season, where he went (11-3) with a 3.01 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP. His 20th start of the 2012 season, 43rd in his career, today at Citizens Bank Park wasn't one of his best. He lasted just five and a third innings, allowing nine hits, two walks and four earned runs while striking out four batters. He did not have a 1-2-3 inning in today's outing, but he did face the minimum however in the top of the fifth.
Offensively today, the Phillies produced better than they have as of late. They got things started right away in the bottom of the 1st, as Chase Utley hit his second triple of the season to score Juan Pierre and Kevin Frandsen on base. Right after, Ryan Howard singled on a ground ball to right field, scoring Chase Utley on third base. The bats would go silent for a couple more innings thereafter until the bottom of the 4th, where Ryan Howard hit his 293rd career home run (7th of 2012) to left center field, tying the game up at four apiece.
The door sprung wide open for the Cardinals in the top of the 8th inning, as they scored three runs off of Phillies' right-handed reliever Michael Schwimer. Those were the game's first runs since Howard's home run in the bottom of the 4th inning. Jon Jay hit his 11th double of season to center field scoring two, and Matt Carpenter brought him in with a single to left field. The Phillies answered back in the bottom half, as Erik Kratz hit a game-tying three-run blast to left field off of RHP Mitchell Boggs.
With the score tied at 7 in the top of the 9th, Jonathan Papelbon retired the side in order on just five pitches, three of which were strikes. Jeremy Horst got through the top of the 10th and 11th without allowing a run as well. After Jimmy Rollins had stolen third base in the bottom of the 11th, Juan Piere eeked out a game-winning RBI infield hit to shortstop Rafael Furcal.
The nine-game, three-series homestand has concluded with the Phillies posting a (5-4) record. The team's next stop will be down in South Beach to play against the Miami Marlins in their new ballpark. Cole Hamels (12-6) will oppose RHP Nathan Eovaldi (3-7), who was acquired by the Marlins along with RHP Scott McGough from the Los Angeles Dodgers for IF Hanley Ramirez and LHP Randy Choate. The Phillies last faced Eovaldi at Dodger Stadium on July 16th of this season. He got the loss against the Phils that game, allowing six hits, two walks and three earned runs in just five innings pitched. (Game Summary).
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Lance Lynn: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 3.65 ERA
- Vance Worley: 5.1 IP. 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 3.97 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Fernando Salas (6th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.54 ERA
- Edward Mujica (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.89 ERA
- Mark Rzepczynski (8th): 0.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.02 ERA
- Mitchell Boggs (8th, 9th): 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 2.29 ERA
- Barret Browning (10th, 11th): 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.24 ERA
- Raul Valdes (6th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.20 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.33 ERA
- Michael Schwimer (8th): 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.13 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.87 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (10th, 11th): 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 1.13 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Cardinals 1, Phillies 0): Matt Carpenter doubles (14) on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Jon Jay scores.
- Bottom of the 1st (Cardinals 1, Phillies 2): Chase Utley triples (2) on a line drive to left fielder Matt Holliday. Juan Pierre, Kevin Frandsen score.
- Bottom of the 1st (Cardinals 1, Phillies 3): Ryan Howard singles on a ground ball to right fielder Carlos Beltran, defelcted by second baseman Daniel Descalso. Chase Utley scores.
- Top of the 3rd (Cardinals 2, Phillies 3): Carlos Beltran doubles (20) on a line drive to right fielder Domonic Brown. Matt Holliday scores.
- Top of the 4th (Cardinals 3, Phillies 3): Jon Jay singles on a ground ball to left fielder Juan Pierre. Rafael Furcal scores.
- Top of the 4th (Cardinals 4, Phillies 3): Matt Carpenter singles on a ground ball to center fielder John Mayberry. Jon Jay scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Cardinals 4, Phillies 4): Ryan Howard homers (7) on a fly ball to left center field.
- Top of the 8th (Cardinals 6, Phillies 4): Jon Jay doubles (11) on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Tony Cruz, David Freese score.
- Top of the 8th (Cardinals 7, Phillies 4): Matt Carpenter singles on a soft fly ball to left fielder Juan Pierre. Jon Jay scores.
- Bottom of the 8th (Cardinals 7, Phillies 7): Erik Kratz homers (5) on a fly ball to left field. Chase Utley, Nate Schierholtz score.
- Bottom of the 11th (Cardinals 7, Phillies 8): Juan Pierre singles on a ground ball to shortstop Rafael Furcal. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Monday, August 13, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (52-62) at Miami Marlins (52-63)
- Cole Hamels (12-6, 3.08 ERA) vs. Nathan Eovaldi (3-7, 4.33 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?