Found March 04, 2013 on
Reds Minor Leagues:
In case you missed it, Redleg Nation Radio had another show yesterday. If you want to check it out and give it a listen, click here.
Dusty Baker wants to see Billy Hamilton make more contact. We talked a little bit about this quote on Redleg Nation Radio, but Hamilton has 7 strikeouts in 15 at bats now. Clearly at this point in the spring, it means nothing. Still, one concern that has been talked about with Hamilton is his propensity to strike out. Last season he struck out 20% of the time he stepped to the plate in Pensacola. That is awfully high for a player who can’t hit the ball over the fence. Hamilton cutting down on the strikeouts would be a big boost to his offensive value. Hopefully he can work on that in Louisville.
John Fay had this article up over the weekend about the young position players in the system, but it mostly revolves around Donald Lutz and Yorman Rodriguez.
Here is how the minor leaguers have done thus far in spring training, and let me be very clear to note ...
BEST OF MAXIM
The Canadians received a huge lift to their World Baseball Classic odds this morning.
This is because Reds All-Star Joey Votto will play for Team Canada in the WBC. Votto revealed his intentions in a 10-minute session with media at spring training Monday morning.
“I look forward to playing for the team,” Votto said. “I look forward to being a part of the tournament....
GOODYEAR, Ariz. His name is Corky Miller and thats no nickname. Corky is his given name.And what the 37-year-old catcher gives the Cincinnati Reds is immeasurable. It is one of the reasons that despite spending most of his 16 professional years in the minor leagues that Miller is one of the most popular guys in the Reds clubhouse.Miller barely has four years of experience in the...
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. Usually, hard feelings do not occur until a game begins. Not Monday. Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker would not shake D-backs manager Kirk Gibsons hand at the pregame lineup exchange because the D-backs opted against using a DH at Salt River Fields.
Newcomer Brandon McCarthy has not had an official at-bat since 2009, spending his entire career in the American League...
Stemming from a pregame argument over the use of the DH, Reds skipper Dusty Baker refused to shake D-Backs manager Kirk Gibson's hand after Monday's game.
Nothing. That's just the true and simple answer. Most people don't pay any attention to spring training numbers unless a player just has gaudy stats and someone wants to make a mention of them, like Reds prospect Henry Rodriguez who is currently hitting .571 (8-14) with a .600 OBP as of Monday morning. For one thing, the sample size you get during spring training just isn...
SALT RIVER AT TAKLING STICK, Ariz. Cincinnati Reds third base coach Mark Berry took all the drama and intrigue out of Joey Vottos announcement Monday morning.As Votto walked toward a media gathering to say yes or no to playing for Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic, Berry broke into a lusty and off-key rendition of, O Canada.So, yes. Yes, Votto will play for his native country...
Zack Cozart got the Reds a very short-lived lead in the first.The Cincinnati Reds continued their losing ways yesterday, dropping their 10th Spring Training game to the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-2.
Johnny Cueto started and pitched well. Over three innings, he allowed one run on one hit and struck out four.
Overall, the pitching wasn’t as bad as the 7-spot makes it look. The defense...
Tempers flared between a pair of competitive managers on Monday over the use of the designated hitter.
The Reds traveled to Scottsdale for a friendly spring training affair against the Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields. They were subsequently handed a 7-2 defeat to drop their record to a dismal 2-10 on the spring. However, the biggest story from this contest came before the first...
Brandon McCarthy pitched three innings in his second start, allowing a home run in the first inning to Zack Cozart, and the Arizona Diamondbacks took advantage of some sloppy Cincinnati play to beat the Reds 7-2 Monday.
Johnny Cueto went three innings in his second start for Cincinnati. He slipped in the first inning, causing concern for the Reds because he strained an oblique in...
GLENDALE, Ariz. When Eric Davis roamed center field for the Cincinnati Reds, he covered more ground than the Russian infantry and, as was once written about another player, The earth is covered by 70 per cent water, the other 30 per cent is covered by Eric Davis.So Reds neophyte outfielders Shin-Soo Chin and Billy Hamilton are being tutored by a man who knows a thing or three about...
The Reds have used a couple of first round selections on catchers recently, but after the promotion to Devin Mesoraco and trade of Yasmani Grandal their development level is now empty of highly rated catching prospects. Depending on players available it may once again be a position of concern in the upcoming draft.