go to MSN.com
Originally written on The Victory Formation  |  Last updated 10/23/14

Via The Victory Formation:

Alex Rodriguez hasn’t been the same player for a couple of years now, and now the New Yok Yankees might not be getting a glimpse of him at all in 2013. Last week, A-Rod underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum. Doctors have given him an initial prognosis of 6 months to recover. While speaking to WFAN in NY, General Manager Brian Cashman did not put to rest the idea that the Yankees could play the entire season without A-Rod in the lineup.

“Yeah, I think because of the serious nature of the surgery and the condition he’s trying to recover from, ya know, there is that chance,” Cashman said Friday morning. “I would say it’s not going to be because Alex doesn’t do everything in his power to put himself in a position to get back and be healthy and productive.”

Cashman doesn’t believe that’s a likely scenario, but because the injury presents “unique circumstances ” he cannot discard it either.

“Best-case scenario he should be back, worst-case scenario he won’t be back or there might be something in between,” Cashman said. “But these are unique circumstances and new experiences injury-wise that has a very small history behind it in the last decade or so. It’s kind of an evolving situation. And there’s very few doctors that are trained under these circumstances, but he has one of the best.”

Years past, this might have been a crushing blow to the Yanks chances as far as contending for a World Series. However, Alex’s impact on the lineup isn’t nearly what it once was, though it probably bothers the Steinbrenners that they will be paying him $30 million this season to play limited baseball, or maybe none at all. That being said, while injured, A-Rod’s injury was a great detriment to the team. He was horrendous in the playoffs, going 0-18 against righties, including an abysmal 12 strikeouts.

The Yanks made preparations for the 2013 without A-Rod a month ago, when they inked former nemesis, Kevin Youkilis to a one-year deal.

It seems that they Yankees do believe there is something left in the tank for Rodriguez, and believe his injury is the biggest reason he had his worst season as a professional in 2012. At least that is the way they seem to be spinning it. After all, Rodriguez is under contract through the 2017 at that $30 million per rate.

MORE FROM YARDBARKER

C-USA hired PR firm to help Marshall’s playoff chances

Wilson denies rumored Harvin rift, blames media for scrutiny

Report: Cowboys could limit DeMarco Murray's touches

Lakers announce Steve Nash to miss season with back issues

Is Mack Brown the best option for SMU?

Jeremy Kerley on new contract: 'Bentleys for everybody'

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
GET THE DAILY NEWSLETTER:

Buss: Any FA who won’t play with Kobe ‘probably a loser’

NFL to start airing its own anti-domestic violence PSAs

Ex-Bronco John Boyett punched cabbie, told cops to call Elway

Former NFL QB still feels effects of concussions every day

Robert Klemko given four-week suspension from The MMQB

Michael Vick: Percy Harvin won't be a monster here

NFL teams facing potential must-win scenarios in Week 8

WATCH: Jeremy Lin poses as Adidas employee for prank

WATCH: Peyton screams at fans to 'shut the f- up!'

Father auctioning off infant son's soccer club allegiance

Love thanks T'Wolves fans in essay for not burning his jersey

WATCH: Browns WR 'kicks out' son over favorite player snub

Memorabilia dealer wants Todd Gurley reinstated immediately

Aaron Rodgers gave girlfriend Olivia Munn a 'special ring'?

The 10 college football programs with most to gain in Week 9

Most disappointing potential dynasties of divisional era

WATCH: OHL hockey coach goes off on reporter: ‘F*** you!’

PK Subban as Michael Jackson at Canadiens' Halloween party

Yankees News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

RUMORS & GOSSIP

C-USA hired PR firm to help Marshall’s playoff chances

In less than a week, college football’s playoff selection committee will release its first rankings. Mississippi State and Ole Miss will be near the top, barring slip ups this weekend. So will Florida State, who doesn’t play again until after the initial rankings are released. Among the schools not likely to be particularly high is...Read More
Via Larry Brown Sports
11 hours ago

Wilson denies rumored Harvin rift, blames media for scrutiny

Russell Wilson on Thursday had the first time to respond to report from Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman that further perpetuated the suspicion that at least one of the reasons the Seattle Seahawks had no choice but to deal Percy Harvin was a perceived rift between the fiery wide receiver and the third-year signal-caller. “Percy and...Read More The post Russell Wilson: ‘Percy...
Via Sportress of Blogitude
12 hours ago

Report: Cowboys could limit DeMarco Murray's touches

DeMarco Murray is having one hell of a season right now with the Dallas Cowboys. If he keeps pace, there’s potential for him to break the single-season NFL record for the most touches and rushing yards. The star running back is getting a lot of touches per game, but he hasn’t slowed down one bit. Murray is currently getting about 30 touches per game, way up from when he was averaging...
Via BlackSportsOnline
16 hours ago

Lakers announce Steve Nash to miss season with back issues

Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash  is expected to be ruled out for the 2014-15 NBA season because of recurring nerve damage in his back, reports Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report. Nash, 40, expected this season, his 19th, to be his final one.  But he has not announced his retirement. The two-time league MVP is in the final year of a three-year, $28 million deal with the...
Via Sports-Glory
12 hours ago

Is Mack Brown the best option for SMU?

It’s no secret that the SMU Mustangs are interested in convincing former Texas coach Mack Brown to come out of retirement and take over the reigns of the program, but Dallas Morning News columnist Bill Nichols dropped a bombshell this morning when he stated in his column that SMU officials are willing to offer Brown an eight-year, $32 million contract. Nichols claimed that...
Via AAC Football Fever
16 hours ago

Jeremy Kerley on new contract: 'Bentleys for everybody'

You could say Jeremy Kerley was in a charitable mood after landing a lucrative contract extension. Very, very charitable. “Yeah, man, I’m going to buy Bentleys for everybody,” Kerley joked, via NJ.com. The Jets’ fourth-year wide receiver on Tuesday signed a four-year deal worth up to $16 million, with $5.4 million guaranteed. A fleet of Bentleys is likely out of the question...
Via Helmet2Helmet
15 hours ago

Buss: Any FA who won’t play with Kobe ‘probably a loser’

When Los Angeles Lakers president Jeanie Buss made her first comments in reaction to the scathing “ESPN The Magazine” piece by Henry Abbott regarding her team’s veteran superstar, she didn’t merely defend Kobe Bryant, she went on an aggressive offensive. Unlike others who chose to directly criticize Abbott and the magazine over the content of...Read More The post Lakers...
Via Sportress of Blogitude
19 hours ago

NFL to start airing its own anti-domestic violence PSAs

You may have noticed, in recent weeks, that the National Football League has been airing spots for Law & Order: SVU star Mariska Hargitay’s Joyful Heart Foundation via its “No More” campaign PSAs. In the spots, stars like Hargitay, Amy Poehler, Andre Braugher and Ice-T call for an end to domestic violence. The message is very simple, and the ads gain an added poignancy...
Via Awful Announcing
20 hours ago

Ex-Bronco John Boyett punched cabbie, told cops to call Elway

In the land of police blurbs, this might very well come close to taking the cake. The Denver Broncos released safety John Boyett on Thursday after he was arrested for assaulting a a cab driver. The former practice squad player apparently head-butted and punched a taxi driver in a bit of drunken rage early Wednesday morning. He then stole a shovel from a construction site and tried...
Via Sportsnaut
16 hours ago

Former NFL QB still feels effects of concussions every day

Former NFL quarterback Kevin Kolb was forced to end his playing career before he reached his 30s because of head injuries. Kolb suffered four concussions that we know about. The first came in 2010 when he was with the Philadelphia Eagles and the last in a 2013 preseason game with the Buffalo Bills. The 29-year-old...Read More
Via Larry Brown Sports
17 hours ago
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.