Found October 23, 2012 on
According to a baseball source close to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston, the Boston Red Sox are on the verge of inking David Ortiz to a two-year deal. The Red Sox are optimistic they will finalize the deal before the end of the week.
The veteran DH is apparently aiming for a $25 million deal, but Edes' source says that although the Red Sox are in that neighborhood but hope to sign him for a few million less.
“As I said, we want to have David back,” GM Ben Cherington said. “We've had good, amicable dialogue. I talked to Fernando (Cuza, Ortiz's agent) yesterday. We'll continue to keep talking. Our hope is to get something done. I'm sure we'll talk again this week sometime.”
Ortiz, 36, had a tremendous season in Boston last year hitting .318/.415/.611 with 23 HR's, 60 RBI's and a 171 OPS+ in 383 plate appearances with the team.
Image by Keith Allison under the Creative Commons License Agreement.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Looks like David Ortiz may finally get the two-year deal he's been wanting for quite some time.
From MLB Trade Rumors:
The Red Sox are finalizing a two-year contract with David Ortiz that will keep the slugger in Boston through 2014, Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com reports. The sides have already agreed on a two-year term, but haven’t yet agreed on compensation. They hope...
The Boston Red Sox are close to completing a two-year deal with slugger David Ortiz. The Red Sox are hoping to have an agreement in place by Friday, ESPNBoston.com reported Tuesday. It's believed that Ortiz wants $25 million for two years. Ortiz's one-year contract this past season was worth $14.58 million. The 36-year-old veteran hit .318 with 23 home runs and 60 RBI...
SHUT IT DOWN
Former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine says David Ortiz quit on the team. Find out what led Valentine to make the comment.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com is reporting that according to a source he spoke with recently, that David Ortiz is close to signing a two year deal with Boston in the range of $ 22-25 million. The deal could be done by the end of the week. This is good news for Red Sox fans since [...]
What he couldn't get last offseason, David Ortiz seems on the verge of getting this offseason. The power-hitting designated hitter wanted a multi-year deal after the 2011 season, and he tested the market. He took his bat, his size, and his encroachment on historic home run totals and went shopping. He was looking for a team willing to show him the love of more than one...
John Farrell has been announced as the new Red Sox manager, but the team might not be done making deals this week.
David Ortiz and the team are close to finalizing a deal for the slugger to return to Boston, according to ESPN.com. The deal would be for two years, according to the report, which is something that Ortiz has been very vocal about wanting in the past.
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz became the first player to publicly applaud the Red Sox hiring of John Farrell as their new manager on Sunday.
Ortiz, in an interview with The Boston Globe's Peter Abraham, recognized the importance of hiring a manager that the players feel comfortable with, and someone who immediately gains the players respect.
Terminated Boston manager Bobby Valentine claimed on Tuesday that juicehead designated hitter David Ortiz quit on the Red Sox after the team made a blockbuster trade that essentially sealed its playoff fate. The 36-year-old Ortiz, who made his Major League … Continue reading →
Two of the most prominent players on the Red Sox had nothing but good things to say about the hiring of John Farrell as the new manager on Sunday evening.
Jon Lester, who had a particulalrly rough 2012 season with Bobby Valentine is looking forward to 2013, and the familiarity Farrell brings to the Red Sox organization.
And David Ortiz understands the respect factor...
Former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine says David Ortiz spent more time than expected on the disabled list then returned to it after playing one game when the team made a major trade that signaled it would not compete for a postseason berth.
Valentine made his remarks in an interview with NBC's Bob Costas airing several hours after John Farrell was introduced as Boston's...
Bobby Valentine may be long gone and his successor already named, but it's apparently not too late for him to creat at least one last controversy in Boston. On Tuesday night, Valentine sat down for an interview with NBS Sports Network's Bob Costas on Costas Tonight, addressing many of the controversies and incidents that happened over the course of his year with the Red Sox...
Even with the Boston Red Sox trying to get away from their mistake of a 2012 season, the drama continues. Bobby Valentine, who was recently fired by the club, gace an interview to NBC Sports. He spoke with Bob Costas and covered everything from team dysfunction, front office issues, and the fact that he thinks David Ortiz quit on the team.
According to the interview, as...
While Bobby Valentine received criticism throughout the season, it was David Ortiz who was always front and center when it came time to defend his manager. Ortiz constantly emphasized that Valentine wasn't to blame for the Red Sox' struggles, which even went against the philosophy of some fans. Apparently, Ortiz's consistent support wasn't enough, though, as Valentine...