Found January 24, 2013 on MetsZilla:
According to Jon Harper of the Daily News, the New York Mets have spoken to the agents of free-agent outfielder, Michael Bourn, and would have a lot more interest in signing the 30-year-old speedster if it would not cost them their 2013 first round pick: #bbpBox_294263563709730818 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294263563709730818 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Told today Mets have real interest in Bourn. Would have a lot more if he wouldn’t cost them No. 11 pick in draft. Top 10 picks protected. about 4 hours ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite @NYDNHarper John Harper #bbpBox_294263849652207616 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294263849652207616 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Problem is Mets had 10th pick until Pirates failed to sign their No. 1 draft pick and were put back in Top 10, pushing Mets out. about 4 hours ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite @NYDNHarper John Harper In a post to the Daily News, Harper added: “The Mets have talked to the agent for free agent speedster Michael Bourn and discussed internally several scenarios how they could make signing the outfielder work, according to someone familiar with the club’s thinking. It’s unclear how serious the Mets are about Bourn, but the person characterized the possibility of adding him as “not off the table.”  “We don’t want to lose our first-round draft pick,” Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told The Star-Ledger earlier this month. “We think that’s one of the ways we got into the predicament we’ve had over the past couple of years.” So, if Alderson does not want to lose his first-round pick (which I don’t blame him for), how do the Mets plan on pursuing Michael Bourn?  Apparently, they have decided to argue that they shouldn’t have to forfeit their pick: #bbpBox_294264175813881857 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294264175813881857 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Mets were seeking a ruling that would allow them to keep the pick, losing 2nd-rounder instead, but so far it seems they won’t get it. about 4 hours ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite @NYDNHarper John Harper #bbpBox_294278170260172800 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294278170260172800 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Definitely sounds like #Mets arguing their pick at No. 11 should be protected, as @NYDNHarper suggests — allowing them to pursue Bourn … about 3 hours ago via EchofonReplyRetweetFavorite @AdamRubinESPN Adam Rubin #bbpBox_294278415362691073 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294278415362691073 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } … Without forfeiting pick. The gist is that Mets would have had top-10 pick (protected) if Pirates didn’t fail to sign pick last year. about 3 hours ago via EchofonReplyRetweetFavorite @AdamRubinESPN Adam Rubin #bbpBox_294273575203008512 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294273575203008512 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } For those asking, it’s unclear if a final ruling has been made on No. 11 pick for Mets. Either way, price has to fall more to sign Bourn. about 4 hours ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite @NYDNHarper John Harper #bbpBox_294282109504331776 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294282109504331776 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Person familiar with situation confirms #Mets would lose first round pick, but said that’s “as of now” about 3 hours ago via EchofonReplyRetweetFavorite @AdamRubinESPN Adam Rubin Whether MLB decides to in favor of the Mets or not, according to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports there is “zero chance” the club will sign the former Brave: #bbpBox_294291988830896132 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294291988830896132 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Either way, one person familiar with #Mets doubts team will meet Scott Boras’ price for Bourn. “Zero chance,” he said. about 3 hours ago via Tweetbot for MacReplyRetweetFavorite @Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal Only time will tell if NY will make a serious run at Bourn, or head into Spring Training without signing one Major League free-agent contract this off-season.  While I have never been an advocate of signing Bourn — mainly because I don’t feel he is worth losing a first round pick as well as, his age (30), low career on-base percentage (.339), agent (Scott Boras), and unreasonable contract demands — he would fill a major void on the clubs roster.  And, with the current outfield being a combination of Lucas Duda, Kirk Niewenhuis, Colin Cowgill, Andrew Brown, and Mike Baxter, the sad truth is Bourn would be an upgrade. The center fielder posted a .348 obp last season with a .739 ops and 42 stolen bases in 55 attempts: That said, I agree with Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger who writes the following: “Even if MLB granted the Mets a break, they would have to negotiate with Scott Boras, Bourn’s high-powered agent. It is unclear how much the team is willing to spend, especially with suitors like Seattle and Texas still potentially in the mix.”
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Top 10 reasons why the Phillies signed Delmon Young

Reason #11: He Sells Newspapers! 10) Michael Bourn is a much better player, but getting him involves talking to that icky Boros guy9) Wanted to make Ryan Howard feel fast and spry when he comes in for Young at first as a defensive replacement8) Want to recreate that 1970s feel with Ben Revere as Garry Maddux and Young as Greg Luzinksi7) Taking a big dump on Domenic Brown is something...

Jon Heyman: Mets Are Discussing Michael Bourn Quite A Bit

Updated by Craig Lerner on 1/22 So if you haven’t heard the latest, here it is. Jon Heyman was on MLB Network this evening and reported that the the Mets have been discussing Michael Bourn quite often lately. I’m trying to process the possibility that my Mets are seriously considering signing the former Brave and forfeiting their first round pick to do so. I have only one opinion...

Rangers Rumors: Texas Unlikely to Sign Michael Bourn, Kyle Lohse

The Texas Rangers are not expected to sign free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse or outfielder Michael Bourn, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. Industry sources said Thursday the Rangers don’t expect to sign either free agent pitcher Kyle Lohse or outfielder Michael Bourn. The Rangers have been among the favorites to land both players throughout the offseason...

The Mets can’t sign Michael Bourn because they were too awesome last year

Well, the Mets being a “good” team is only part of the problem. For an explanation of why the Mets will probably need to surrender their 2013 first-round draft pick if they do, in fact, agree to a contract with Michael Bourn, Ken Rosenthal is the man to turn to (H/T: MetsBlog). The Mets hold the 11th pick in the draft. But under the new collective-bargaining agreement, only the...

The Bourn Ultimatum: Should We Or Shouldn’t We?

The Mets want Michael Bourn, but not at the risk of losing their first round draft pick according to John Harper of the Daily News. No surprise there, but even if they could get MLB to protect their pick, are they suddenly going to splurge with the money it would take to sign the Scott Boras client? Or is this just another attempt to dupe fans into thinking that the Mets can still...

Rosenthal: Mets-Bourn match looks unlikely

The rumors of the New York Mets interest in free agent Michael Bourn have been escalating in recent days, some going as far as to say the team would seriously consider a backloaded deal if it wouldn’t cost them their first round pick in 2013.  As I wrote the other day, I just don’t buy it.  We are talking about a 30-year-old free agent outfielder that makes his living with...

Rosenthal: Zero Chance Mets Meet Michael Bourn's Price

While the New York Mets have been rumored to be one of the teams interested in Michael Bourn, the former Atlanta Braves' outfielder may have too high a price tag.  Considering the fact that Bourn is still a free agent, many teams may have already expressed their concerns and passed on Bourn.  The Mets likely will as well. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Mets would be doubly...

Just In Case The Mets Don’t Get Bourn…

This… Adam Rubin spoke to Terry Collins who told him he plans to look at both Justin Turner and Zach Lutz in the outfield this Spring. Turner has not played a game in the outfield in his Major League career and Lutz has never played a game in the outfield in his minor league career. Sounds good to me… I’m very optimistic… Updated 5:00 PM Adam Rubin, who knows a heck...
HURTS DON'T IT

Pavano hurt spleen doing what?!?

Pitcher Carl Pavano hurt his spleen in an odd way and reportedly will miss 6-8 weeks. He is currently a free agent after spending the last four seasons with the Twins.

Mets Gamble $4 million on Marcum

Yesterday the New York Mets agreed to a 1-year contract with former Brewers pitcher Shaun Marcum, pending a physical. Today the 31-year-old righty passed his physical and the 1-year/$4 million contract was made official. According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, incentives could drive that price tag up to $6 million in 2013. https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/294858724034617344...

Cubs and Scott Hairston Agree On Two Year Deal

According to a report from Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs are in agreement with Scott Hairston on a two-year contract. Rosenthal indicated the deal is pending a physical and did not report the terms. Scott Hairston was reportedly looking for a two-year, $8 million contract to which the Mets balked and countered with a one year deal for $2 million. That’s where it apparently ended....

Phillies sign Delmon Young to deal

The Phillies have signed Delmon Young to a one-year deal for $750,000, adding to their outfield depth. His contract includes roster and performance bonuses that could bring the total value of the deal to $3.25 million, a source told FOXSports.com senior MLB writer Ken Rosenthal. The 27-year-old outfielder batted .267 with 27 doubles, 18 homers and 74 RBIs for Detroit last season...

The next 100 million dollar man?

  Fox Sports Ken Rosenthal is reporting that pitcher Felix Hernandez has been in talks with the Seattle Mariners about extending his contract. The early rumors are that Hernandez could be offered a four-year extension at $100 million. Hernandez currently has two more years remaining on his contract; therefore, such an extension would put him [...]

Cubs agree to two year deal with Scott Hairston

According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the Chicago Cubs have agree to a 2-year deal with former Mets outfielder Scott Hairston. #bbpBox_294283721765433344 a { text-decoration:none; color:#0084B4; }#bbpBox_294283721765433344 a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } Sources: #Cubs in agreement on two-year deal with free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston, pending physical. about 1 hour...
MLB News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.