Posted January 17, 2013 on
AP on Fox
His video game company in bankruptcy, former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling is selling the blood-stained sock he wore during the 2004 World Series.
The sports director at Heritage Auctions tells The Associated Press online bidding begins around Feb. 4. Live bidding will take place in New York City on Feb. 23.
The sock had been on loan to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. It's now at Heritage's Dallas headquarters and is expected to bring in at least $100,000.
Schilling's 38 Studios was lured to Rhode Island from Massachusetts with a $75 million loan guarantee, and it later filed for bankruptcy.
Schilling guaranteed loans for the business. The state also is now likely responsible for some $100 million related to the deal.
A message was left for Schilling's publicist.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The Boston Red Sox announced Thursday that catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia agreed to a one-year contract. The deal is worth $4.5 million, Saltalamacchia's agent, James Munsey, told ESPN Boston. The deal means that Saltalamacchia avoids salary arbitration. The Red Sox have eight players still eligible for arbitration, including new closer Joel Hanrahan, reliever Andrew Bailey...
More than one month after initially agreeing to a three-year, $39 million contract, Mike Napoli and the Boston Red Sox have come to terms on a one-year deal that will pay him $5 million, according to a major-league source.
The initial deal was nullified when a health concern arose as part of Napoli's physical exam.
Incentive clauses in the contract could allow Napoli...
Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here... highlighting the big storyline. Because there's nothing quite as satisfying as a good morning dump.
Curt Schilling, who says he has lost all of his baseball earnings, is preparing to sell the bloody sock he wore during the 2004 World Series.
Schilling’s Rhode Island-based video game company, 38 Studios,...
Mike Napoli and the Red Sox will finally touch pen to paper on a new contract soon, sources told ESPN Boston on Thursday. Napoli and the Sox have reportedly agreed on a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives that could reward Napoli with a $13 million payout in 2013.
This news comes nearly two months after it was initially reported that the Red Sox had signed the free agent...
John Lackey didn’t pitch at all in 2012, and he struggled mightily throughout his two seasons in Boston before that. Yet as the Red Sox prepare to enter spring training in less than a month, Lackey is very much a wild card in the team’s rotation.
Simply put, we don’t know what to expect from Lackey, who went 26-23 with a 5.26 ERA in two seasons with the Sox before undergoing...
The Boston Red Sox avoided arbitration with new closer Joel Hanrahan after reaching agreement on a one-year deal worth $7.04 million. Hanrahan, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2013 season, came to the Red Sox last month in a trade with Pittsburgh. The Pirates paid him $4.1 million in 2012. Hanrahan posted 36 saves last season and 40 in 2011 with a combined a 2...
The Boston Red Sox signed Jacoby Ellsbury to a one-year contract on Friday, avoiding arbitration with the outfielder.
The oft-injured Ellsbury, 29, a 2011 All-Star, saw a drop in his production last year, finishing with a .271 average, four home runs and 26 RBIs. He will make $9 million, a year after making $8.05 million.
Ellsbury missed 79 games after suffering a right shoulder...
Cheer up Manti Te’o! After Curt Schilling has reportedly put his Massachusetts home up for sale at an estimated 3.45 Mil—the financially embattled former pitcher is now obligated to sell his fabled bloody sock. Almost a year after his video game company, 38 Studios went under, the state of Massachusetts is ordering the … Continue reading »
The Red Sox are dodging arbitration like an athletic middle schooler
in a P.E. dodge ball tournament. Earlier this morning on Red Sox Life we
reported that the Sox signed center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury to a one year
contract worth 9 million dollars. Now the newest addition to the Red Sox
organization closer Joel Hanrahan has signed a one year deal worth 7.04 million
You can start breathing again Red Sox Nation. It's been reported
that Jacoby Ellsbury and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year 9 million dollar
contract. Why is this so significant? The deal avoids a messy arbitration period and keeps Ellsbury in a Red Sox uniform for at least another year.
The contract benefits both parties involved. The Red Sox increase Jacoby's salary...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
On Thursday came the announcement of the 2013 World Baseball Classic (WBC) provisional rosters and we find four members of the Boston Red Sox represented.
New OF Shane Victorino will represent the United States while P Alfredo Aceves will represent his home country of Mexico.
The other two players are part of the Red Sox minor league system.
SS Xander Bogaerts will play...
WEEI's Rob Bradford is reporting that the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to terms on a one-year deal. The Sox and Napoli had originally agreed to a three-year deal worth $39 million back on December 3, but Boston's medical staff had concerns after the 31 year old's physical. Yesterday, Jon Heyman reported that a deal would be reached next week, so the fact that...
Last Sunday, we bootless and gaggle-toothed mortals of the underclass were blessed to watch the Golden Globe awards - (which should be called the Golden Calf awards) - the annual salute to human self-indulgence, second only to birthday parties given for North Korean dictators. It is an honor to watch the gods get hammered and flirt with each other - even if Redsock-leaning Ben Affleck...
MetsBlog passes along that former Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka told Hochi Shimbun that he is now talking with the Mets, Indians and Marlins, though other teams have expressed interest in signing him this winter.
Dice-K prefers to sign a big-league contract with incentives. However, it is also likely he ends up signing a minor-league deal or could return to pitch in Japan...