Found December 02, 2012 on NESN.com:
Mlb-red-sox-orioles-mar
While most of the focus this offseason on the Red Sox pitching staff will be on adding members, the team has some versatile pieces from within the fold that it’s still looking to make the most of. Relievers Scott Atchison and Rich Hill, who were both released Friday, aren’t necessarily off the Red Sox’ radar. General manager Ben Cherington said Saturday that both would be offered minor league contracts and invited to spring training, according to The Boston Globe. That’s a common move for teams looking to bring players back, but not necessarily under the same salary requirements as if they were offered a tendered contract by the deadline. Both Atchison and Hill have had injury struggles while in Boston. Cherington also said Franklin Morales will come into spring training prepared to be a starter. Morales flip-flopped between starting and relieving last season, and while Cherington said he could do both or either again this season, Morales will get to begin with the mindset of starti...
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
RELATED ARTICLES

Fantasy Impact: Mike Napoli Signs with Red SoxExperts say Napoli was made for Fenway, but is that really the case?

Boston’s offseason overhaul is underway. The Red Sox have agreed to terms with Mike Napoli on a three-year contract worth $39MM. At first glance it would appear that Napoli was made for Fenway. The right-handed, power-first pull hitter will enjoy bobbing balls off and over the Green Monster just over 300 feet away, and one would expect his power numbers and batting average to rise...

Pedro Ciriaco Eager to Compete for Starting Shortstop Job Despite Suffering Minor Shoulder Injury

BOSTON –– Nine months ago, Pedro Ciriaco took spring training by storm. A non-roster invitee, Ciriaco wowed the Red Sox with his hitting, bunting and speed. While he failed to make the 25-man roster in April, the 27-year-old managed to latch on with the team in July. With a vacancy at shortstop since the Red Sox traded away Mike Aviles, Ciriaco is vying to take the next step...

Red Sox Make Gomes Deal Official

Ten days after learning that the Boston Red Sox had agreed to a two-year deal with Jonny Gomes, the team has finally made it official. The holdup was clearing up space on the 40-man roster which happened on Friday night. Here's the full release from the Red Sox: The Boston Red Sox today signed veteran outfielder Jonny Gomes to a two-year contract through the 2014 season...

Ben Cherington Is Confident John Farrell, Jonny Gomes, David Ross Will Bring Success to Red Sox (Video)

Red Sox fans are still waiting for the club to make a big move this offseason, but Ben Cherington has already been hard at work trying to field a winning ball club in 2013. The Sox general manager has hired a new manager in John Farrell, and signed two well-respected, character players in David Ross and Jonny Gomes. All three will be crucial to the club’s success next season and...

Mike Napoli agrees to 3 year deal with Red Sox

ESPN According to ESPN, Mike Napoli has agreed to a 3 year deal worth $39 million with the Red Sox, pending a physical. Napoli turned 31 in October and will be and he will be 33 in his last year of the contract, so the Red Sox won’t have to deal with a large drop off in production with him. He is expected to primarily play 1st base for the Red Sox, though he will catch part-time...

Report: Red Sox Sign Mike Napoli To a Three-Year Deal

If you're Ryan Lavarnway or Jarrod Saltalamacchia, you have to think that you probably won't be playing for the Boston Red Sox in 2013. The offseason for the Red Sox got a little stranger on Monday when reports have surfaced that the team and free agent catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli have agreed to terms on a three-year deal. Reportedly, the deal is worth $39 million...

Napoli agrees to $39 million deal with Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox agreed on a three-year, $39 million contract with free-agent catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli, ESPN Dallas reported Monday. Napoli played with the Texas Rangers this year. The Red Sox expect to play Napoli at first base. He could also fill in at catcher if the team decides to trade Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The 31-year-old recently told ESPN Dallas that he just...

Vote: Which Free-Agent Hitter Should the Red Sox Target After Signing Mike Napoli?

The Red Sox’ offseason is steaming ahead full bore. On Monday, the first day of the Winter Meetings in Nashville, Boston reportedly inked catcher and first baseman Mike Napoli to a three-year deal, not only plugging the team’s hole at first base, but also acquiring a player long desired by the franchise. Napoli immediately fills the first base and right-handed power void facing...

Mike Napoli Signing Allows Flexibility at Catcher for Red Sox, Added Power Bat in Lineup (Video)

Mike Napoli is receiving a lot of praise for his decision to come to Boston for the next three years. The catcher/first baseman signed a three-year contract with the Sox on Monday, and early reports have him slated to primarily play first base. The Boston Globe‘s Peter Abraham applauded the signing, and ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian believes that with a couple more solid signings, the...

All We’re Missing is Leskanta Claus

For those of you in the Boston area (or with access to NESN), today is Christmas at Fenway Park, featuring lights, snow, Wally, Ryan Lavarnway, Ben Cherington, raffles, the Enchanted Village Where Everyone is Named “Jimy Williams,” The Nutmeg Gingersnap Singers and possibly a racy version of the nativity performed entirely by Paxton Crawford. Apparently [...]

Fans at "Christmas at Fenway" Just Can't Wait to see Sox CEO Larry Lucchino

Larry Lucchino is Red Sox president and CEO. Fenway Sports Group owns the Sox. The New England Sports Network, or NESN, is a regional cable television station that covers the Sox. Fenway Sports Group... Full story at Bob's Blitz ~ http://www.bobsblitz.com

Red Sox Non-Tender Atchison, Hill, Sweeney

The Boston Red Sox had until midnight on Friday to decide who tender contracts to that were under the team's control. As you might have expected, the Red Sox had some tough decisions to make. GM Ben Cherington decided to not tender contracts to three players. Those three players are Scott Atchison, Rich Hill and Ryan Sweeney. To me, Hill is the most surprising. He...

Ryan Sweeney, Scott Atchison, Rich Hill Nontendered By Red Sox Ahead of Friday Night Deadline

On Friday, the Red Sox said goodbye to a three contributors to the 2012 squad. Outfielder Ryan Sweeney, right-handed reliever Scott Atchison and left-handed reliever Rich Hill were all nontendered by Boston, moving the Red Sox’ 40-man roster down to 37 players. The team had until Friday at 11:59 p.m. to tender contracts to players under their control for next season, or cut them...
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.