Found June 18, 2013 on
With the double header on Tuesday, the Red Sox have a lot of additions to the roster. The one big subtraction may be Clay Buchholz, as he might be headed to the disabled list.
First Things First: Napoli, Carp Available
After sitting out three of the four games in Baltimore due to illness, Mike Napoli is back and better. He is in the lineup for Game 1 of Tuesday’s double header against the Tampa Bay Rays, batting in his usual No. 5 spot.
The Red Sox sent Napoli back to Boston so team doctors could evaluate his condition. The doctors have cleared Napoli to play, according to the Boston Globe.
Mike Carp, who injured his hamstring on Sunday’s game in Baltimore, may start game two of today’s double header, according to NESN’s Jenny Dell:
Mike Napoli back in lineup for Game 1. Mike Carp available to play in Game 2. #RedSox
— Jenny Dell (@JennyDellNESN) June 18, 2013
Carp is hitting .405 with five home runs and 12 runs batted in in the month of June thus far, providing depth behind Napoli.
Just in case both were unavailable, Will Middlebrooks was available to move from third to first, as he was taking grounders on the other side of the diamond yesterday, according to ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes. Daniel Nava was also available to come in from the outfield.
Buchholz Throwing Tuesday Morning
Tuesday is D-Day for Clay Buchholz and the condition of his stiff trapezius. According to several sources, he is throwing Tuesday morning before today’s double header to evaluate the progress of his neck.
Buchholz is slated to start Saturday against the Detroit Tigers. If he does not shape up well after his throwing session, a trip to the disabled list is likely.
Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster are the two names that could replace Buchholz’s spot in the rotation. De La Rosa threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings last night against the Columbus Clippers. Allen Webster last pitched on Friday and is slated to pitch Wednesday, although that spot in the rotation has been left open.
Pedroia In, Iglesias Out
After getting two days off, Dustin Pedroia is back in his third spot in the lineup, playing second base. José Iglesias is available off the bench, and may start game two of the double header.
The Red Sox are facing two right-handed starters, Chris Archer and Jake Odorizzi, so Iglesias’s best shot to play might be at the third base to give Middlebrooks a rest.
Also, Alfredo Aceves is getting the start in Game 1, being the 26th man on the roster for the double header. Aceves has gone six innings and given up only one earned run in each of his last two starts with the big club.
(Photo Courtesy of Winslow Townson/Associated Press)
The post Sox Scratch Pad: Napoli to Play, Buchholz to Throw appeared first on The Nosebleeds.
BEST OF MAXIM
Clay Buchholz and David Ross both landed on the disabled list Tuesday—the former on the standard 15-day and the latter on the 7-day concussion variety. Buchholz—who hasn't pitched since June 8 complaining of "neck soreness"—is eligible to come off the list on June 24th. Ross—who was on the 7-day concussion DL earlier in the year—was repeatedly pummelled on...
Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here...
highlighting the big storyline. Because there's nothing quite as
satisfying as a good morning dump.
His progress slowed, Clay Buchholz is still not
100 percent and won't throw a bullpen Sunday, thus taking him out of
"It's getting better every day," said Buchholz...
Boston Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli has been held out of the team's lineup for the last couple of days due to illness, but manager John Farrell told reporters -- including Todd Karpovich of MLB.com -- that he's hopeful to have the slugger back on Tuesday.
Napoli's been out since June 13 due to illness. That day he was forced to exit the Red Sox' contest...
The Clay Buchholz situation has been a frustrating one for everybody involved, do doubt, but neck injuries are a tricky thing. However, as The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo says, Buchholz is calling all the shots in his rehab, and won’t push himself too far just to avoid a D.L. stint.
As of Tuesday, Buchholz’s schedule side session had been pushed back from before Game 1 of the...
The Boston Red Sox have put pitcher Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained neck.
The Red Sox made the move Tuesday after beating Tampa Bay 5-1 in the opener of a day-night doubleheader. Buchholz threw for a brief period in the bullpen following the game.
Buchholz is 9-0 and leads the majors with a 1.71 ERA.
The right-hander made an early exit from his...
The Boston Red Sox were hoping right-handed starting pitcher
Clay Buchholz could avoid a stint on the disabled list, as the team pushed the
ace back a few times to allow him additional rest. Boston needs a starter for
Saturday, and manager John Farrell told Michael Periatt of MLB.com that the
club didn’t want to rush Buchholz back.
"We needed the starter on Saturday...
The Red Sox have Monday off and then play a double-admission day-night doubleheader against the Rays on Tuesday. Based on current evaluations, both Mike Napoli and Mike Carp should be ready to play in those Tuesday games. Napoli is out with an undisclosed "illness" and Carp tweaked a hammy while legging out a double. The 1PM start on Tuesday is a make-up of a rainout on...
The Boston Red Sox have placed Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list due to a strained trapezius muscle in his neck, retroactive to June 9. Buchholz has been nagged by the injury since his last start on June 8 and has battled health issues over the past few weeks, as he has only made two starts since May 22.Buchholz threw a bullpen session before the second game of Tuesday’s...
Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell had fully intended to use right-hander Clay Buchholz in Tuesday's double-header with the division rival Tampa Bay Rays should the lingering soreness in Buchholz's neck subside. Buchholz has been scratched from his start, but NBC Sports.com's Craig Calcaterra reports that the right-hander will throw on the side instead.
If Clay Buchholz doesn't throw in the bullpen Tuesday, he's likely headed for the disabled list. Buchholz is still experiencing pain in his neck. If he’s alright after the bullpen session, he could start Saturday in Detroit. If Buchholz can't go, the Saturday starter could be Rubby De La Rosa or Allen Webster.
That' a lot of "...
After throwing a bullpen session between games of the rain-delayed doubleheader, Clay Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck strain. Buchholz has made just one start since June 2.
The move was made retroactive to June 9, meaning Buchholz won't make his scheduled start Saturday in Detroit. Allen Webster will likely make...
After more than a week of neck discomfort, Clay Buchholz is finally headed to the shelf.
The Red Sox placed the left-hander on the 15-day disabled list with a neck strain Tuesday afternoon, activating catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Pawtucket in his place. Since Buchholz has not pitched since June 8, his move to the DL is retroactive to June 9, making his earliest possible return date...
Baseball’s newest phenom is set to make his major league debut on Tuesday in Game 1 of the doubleheader between the Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox. Who knows, maybe someday you’ll be able to say you were watching at the beginning of a great career.
Wil Myers will start in right field for the Rays, in basball’s most anticipated debut since perhaps Bryce Harper. The 22-year...
Looking at Jon Lester’s numbers now, it’s hard to believe that he looked unbeatable, along with Clay Buchholz, at the beginning of the season. With Buchholz possibly headed for the disabled list, Lester’s recent slump could end up being a huge problem for the Red Sox.
The Sox are no strangers to Lester’s shakiness from previous seasons, but...
Coming off a 3-4 roadtrip in Tampa Bay and Balitmore, the Boston Red Sox return home for a brief three game homestand in two days before hitting the road again on Thursday in Detroit. The Red Sox finished up the weekend dropping three out of four to the Orioles but will look to get back on track against the Rays at Fenway Park. Boston will be facing two young Rays starters on Tuesday...