Found March 02, 2012 on
The Sports Bank:
Tampa Bay Rays
So, its Friday, Kerry Wood tried to take out our best offensive player, bunting is cool again, Jeff Samardzija loves the camera, the squad is preparing to move on down the road to Ho-Ho-Kam, and Maholm was leveled by the flu in the desert. Interesting times at Cubs camp.
So, let’s get to some rambling and enjoyable conversations for a Friday.
• Jed said he is working hard to hammer out a long-term extension for Matt Garza. He cited the need to acquire and keep good pitching.
• So we all know this means Garza will most likely be traded.
• For those who have read this site for years, you know I have a tendency to develop man-crushes on players. The most notorious was Mark DeRosa. It has been awhile since I have had one, but I think Brett Jackson could be next in line.
• I love the guy’s attitude.
• Hey Kimmy DeJesus, how you doin?
• Wait, Heidi DeRosa … hot … Kim DeJesus … hot …
• Should I change my name to Brian DeMcCabe?
• Dale Sveum has managed to make bunting cool,
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Since the Chicago Cubs last made the playoffs in 2008 they have been experiencing a steady decline that culminated with last season’s 5th place finish and 71-91 record. Enter new President of Baseball Operations, Theo Epstein.
Luring Epstein to the north side is the front office equivalent of the Angels signing Albert Pujols. Actually, it might be like landing Pujols and Prince...
It certainly has been a rather drama free first week of camp, which doesn't give me much to react to...but I'll do my best.
- A Dave Kaplan tweet says Dale Sveum would bat Starlin Casto third if the season started today. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with that leading to Darwin Barney probably batting second. Hopefully the front office can talk some sense...
(Eds: Updates.) After losing two of their top three run producers from last season, the Chicago Cubs might open 2012 with outfielder Alfonso Soriano as their cleanup hitter.
Spring training games don't start until Sunday, and new manager Dale Sveum said his lineup is still very much a work in progress. But his early thoughts include newly acquired outfielder David DeJesus leading...
The Chicago Cubs will kick off their 2012 season Thursday, April 5, at the friendly confines of Wrigley Field vs. the Washington Nationals. We discussed the probable batting order and lineup, and now it’s time get a preview of the Cubs pitching staff for this season.
With the loss of Carlos Zambrano and his 24 sometimes-volatile starts traded to Ozzie Gullen’s Miami Marlins...
Matt Szczur drove-in six runs with a two-run double and a grand slam home run, Brett Jackson slugged a solo home run, ripped an RBI double, walked twice, and scored three runs, and Tony Campana singled and scored in all three of his at bats, leading one squad of Cubs to a 10-4 victory over another squad of Cubs in an intrasquad game played at Dwight Patterson Field at HoHoKam Park...
After posting a 2.97 earned-run average and logging 88 innings out of the Chicago Cubs' bullpen in 2011, right-hander Jeff Samardzija is getting an opportunity to start in camp this year.
Joe Mather clubbed a three-run home run, Brett Jackson slugged his second home run in two days, and Jay Jackson threw three perfect innings, as two squads of Cubs played to a 3-3 tie in a five-inning intrasquad game played under sunny skies this afternoon at Dwight Patterson Field at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, AZ.
After reaching base four times yesterday on a solo a HR, a double, and...
Dale Sveum sounded just like a Cubs fan when he talked about his first impressions of Brett Jackson. Cubs fans are excited to see what Jackson can do, too.
Jeff Samardzija is eager to build off last season and grab one of the spots in the Cubs' rotation.