Found July 09, 2012 on
San Diego Padres
St. Louis Cardinals
Here's a running list of trade rumors around the Major Leagues:
– Even though they're still contenders, the Arizona Diamondbacks are willing to trade outfielder Justin Upton, but only if they're “dazzled” by an offer according to a source close to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports. Rosenthal adds that General Manager, Kevin Towers, “is willing to listen on virtually all of his players.” And that they could pull out a trade of pure Major Leaguers instead of prospects.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports adds that the Pirates have had preliminary talks with the Diamondbacks regarding Upton. Although no deal is imminent, talent evaluators from the Diamondbacks have been scouting the Pirates' minor league teams.
– Carlos Quentin has been drawing trade interest, and the Pirates have had preliminary talks with the Padres regarding him according to Morosi. He adds that just like the Diamondbacks, the Padres have been scouting the Pirates' minor league teams. The Padres are looking for young players with substantial upside in exchange of Quentin.
– The Texas Rangers have expressed their preference for Cole Hamels over Zack Greinke even though they have been scouting Greinke lately reports Rosenthal. The Phillies though, are still trying to lock Hamels to a long-term deal. But even if the Phillies trade him this season, he would be open to re-sign with them once he hits free agency. “I can always leave and come back,” he said.
– The St. Louis Cardinals have expressed some interested in left handed pitcher Brian Fuentes who was designated for assignment by the A's last week according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports. He adds that the team is trying to trade the veteran lefty.
– According to a source close to Rosenthal, the Tigers are trying harder to upgrade their offense than adding a top starter, like Cubs' Matt Garza. Their priority would be to add a second baseman, and Rosenthal suggests Marco Scutaro, who the Rockies made available recently.
Image by SD Dirk under the Creative Commons License Agreement.
BEST OF MAXIM
The Diamondbacks are willing to trade right fielder Justin Upton even if they are in contention, according to major league sources.
However, to make such a deal, the D-backs would need to be "dazzled" by a rival team's offer, sources say.
The D-backs essentially are taking the same approach toward trading Upton that they did during the 2010-11 offseason, shortly after...
In the first edition of a new feature here on Metsmerized, Jessep and XtreemIcon argue their cases for and against Justin Upton who is once again on the trading block for the Arizona Diamondbacks, and this time it sounds like they mean it. The talented young outfielder is only 24, but there’s a good case on both sides of the debate and the choice is not as easy as it seems....
The Arizona Diamondbacks have made it clear in recent days that they will entertain trade offers for their star right fielder Justin Upton. Is it possible that he’d be a fit with the Detroit Tigers and could they put together a strong enough package to make it happen? First, we must look at the D-backs’ [...]
Justin Upton in a Texas Rangers Uniform? Photo courtesy of SI.com
The Texas Rangers have proven themselves to be a top-notch organization that is willing to make moves and spend money to seriously compete for a World Series championship. The Rangers have loaded their MLB squad with an extremely athletic lineup to go along with a pitching staff with multiple power arms. The off-season...
Jon Paul Mororsi of FoxSports is reporting that the Pirates having inquired on adding Justin Upton and Carlos Quentin via trade. The first place Pirates are on pace to break their 19 year losing streak, and the addition of another power bat in the lineup could be a key to making the playoffs.
Upton has been a disappointment in Arizona this season after his breakout campaign in...
Justin Upton might be the most valuable player in baseball, all things considered. He’ll turn 25 in August and he’s signed through the 2015 season. Upton might have the highest offensive ceiling of any player in the game. When he’s hitting, it’s fun to watch. From a scouting perspective, he has all the tools you want to see in a player, and has an advanced approach...
The Diamondbacks reportedly will consider trading Justin Upton if they fall out of contention in the NL West, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi report.
Upton was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 MLB Draft and made it to the big leagues as a 19-year-old in 2007. He put together strong seasons in 2009 and 2011, making the All-Star team both seasons and finishing fourth...
I've had this feeling for about two weeks that the time between the All-Star Break and the trade deadline is going to be an intense period of time for Pirate fans. I mentioned it in this post; whatever happens in this season happens, but it seems clear to me that we've entered a new phase in the Neal Huntington plan; a phase where the front office moves from straight talent...
Today and tomorrow are two of the lamest days of the sports year, so for now I'm just going to post a bunch of links to interesting things I've seen the last couple of days. If we want to go back to the Justin Upton front, Nick Piecoro reports that Kevin Towers wants "Major League" players for Upton. It seems insane to me to trade a player like Upton and not ask...
PHOENIX So Justin Upton is available.
Put that in the same file as the sun rises daily.
Bulletin: Kevin Towers has been known to make a trade. Check the resume. Towers wife and his three bulldogs are safe, but everything else is negotiable.
That being said, Upton is almost certainly going nowhere but into his usual No. 3 spot in the batting order when the second half of the Diamondbacks...
The trade deadline is a few weeks away, so the rumor mill is about to heat up. To prep you for the coming trade season, we're providing a primer on who the top available trade targets could be as get closer to July 31st.
Ah, right fielders....the primary arbiters of SMASHY SMASHY! I'm not sure if there's going to be much of an impact player moved at the...
The Pittsburgh Pirates are in first place. Clearly, they intend to stay there.
Major-league sources told FOXSports.com the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions regarding two power-hitting outfielders, San Diego's Carlos Quentin and Arizona's Justin Upton. Talent evaluators from those two clubs have scouted Pittsburgh's minor-league affiliates in recent days...
Here's a running list of trade rumors around the Major Leagues:
– The Baltimore Orioles have been kicking the tires on Wandy Rodriguez according to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports. He adds that General Manager, Dan Duquette, have been contacting “lots of teams.”
– The Arizona Diamondbacks are preparing for both trade scenarios (buying and selling), but if they become sellers...