Mets third baseman David Wright said on the team's radio pregame show Friday night that he will not discuss a new contract during the season.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson had said earlier in the week that the team intended to speak with Wright's agents before the season was over, but stopped short of saying that the Mets would make the player an offer.
The team, however, did not inform Wright of its intentions, and Wright never intended to discuss a contract during the season, according to a major-league source.
Alderson's remarks led to Wright fielding numerous media inquiries about his status. Wright, seeking to eliminate further distraction, told Coleman he would not discuss a new deal with the team until the offseason.
Wright, 29, is earning $15 million this season, and the Mets hold a $16 million club option on him for 2013. The Mets, after losing shortstop Jose Reyes to free agency, could alienate their fan base if they also fail to keep Wright. But the ...