Found August 04, 2013 on
The Cowboys take on the Dolphins tonight in Canton, Ohio
The Cowboys officially open the start of preseason tonight when they take on the Miami Dolphins in the annual Hall of Fame Game played in Canton, Ohio.
Here’s what to watch for this evening:
1. Unveiling of the 4-3 Defense- Monte Kiffin’s newly installed 4-3 system will be on display this evening against QB Ryan Tannehill and the rest of the Dolphins offense. Kiffin’s last stop at the University of Southern California has largely been considered a failure. However the 76 year old possesses of a long history of NFL success. The front seven for the ‘Boys has never really been in question. For the first time in his career, All-Pro DeMarcus Ware will play with his hand on the ground at defensive end. It will be interesting to see him wreak havoc on Tannehill, if he plays. You also can’t forget about Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, who NFL experts believe will excel in Kiffin’s new system.
2. Travis Frederick- Frederick will most likely have a lot busier night than most of the starters. He is expected to play at both center and guard tonight, as the Cowboys want to test the rookie as much as possible leading up to the regular season. Through training camp so far, Frederick has been solid and looks to carry his poise into the match up with the Dolphins.
3. Joseph Randle- Randle will make his NFL Debut tonight. The Cowboys aren’t expecting to play all their starters tonight, so expect Randle to receive plenty of work. Randle, who was drafted out of Oklahoma State in the fifth round will be the change of pace back for DeMarco Murray this season, and it could definitely help his confidence with a solid performance against Miami.
4. Safety Battle- The Cowboys will start Barry Church and Will Allen on Sunday, but the battle to watch will be after they exit the field. Matt Johnson has been receiving second-team snaps in practice, and the Cowboys project him to be a starter in the future. However, his training camp performance has been inconsistent. He’ll have the chance to show he’s more than capable of being that ball-hawking safety the Cowboys expect him to be tonight. Watch out for J.J. Wilcox in this game. He’s the personal protector on the punt team, and is the only rookie on the special teams unit. He’s made several plays on the ball in practice at the actual safety position, and continues to be strong against the run. I expect to hear his name often tonight. One of these two younger safeties will be given the opportunities to show they can supplant veteran Will Allen.
5. Offensive Line Issues- Well, I’ve already mentioned Frederick above, and he’s not the problem here. Neither is former first-round pick Tyron Smith, who anchors this unit. The concerns for the Cowboys come primarily from the guard position. Projected starter Nate Livings is expected to miss two to four weeks due to injury, and his backup Kevin Kowalski will also be out nearly a month due to a minor knee injury. The list doesn’t stop there for the ‘Boys as Jeremy Parnell, Demetress Bell, Ryan Cook, and Mackenzy Bernadeau are all nursing injuries. It’ll be interesting to see if the line can protect QB Kyle Orton tonight.
6. Who actually won’t play- QB Tony Romo (supposedly), LB Alex Albright, OG Nate Livings, and WR Terrance Williams all won’t play tonight in the Cowboys preseason opener. As for anyone else not playing, Jason Garrett has stayed quiet. Sources have said Romo won’t play with other specific veteran players, but Garrett and the coaching staff have not revealed the other names of who possibly might sit. I’m sure we will all find out immediately tonight when the team takes the field.
BEST OF MAXIM
Last night marked the beginning of the preseason and the beginning of a new era for the Dallas Cowboys. Their 24-20 win over the Miami Dolphins gives the coaches an idea of who deserves a shot to be on the roster.
• Running back Phillip Tanner had a huge game with 70 yards on 13 carries. He gashed the Miami defense all night long, continually breaking tackles.
Holloman’s interception for TD
The Dallas Cowboys opened their 2013 preseason campaign with a 24-20 victory over the Miami Dolphins thanks to strong showings by their rushing attack and new look defense.
Wait the Cowboys won a game running the ball and playing defense?
Now, that didn’t happen all of last season.
Here is what the Cowboys can take from the game:
Getting off to...
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo says he believes he’ll play in Friday’s preseason game against the Raiders after sitting out last night’s Hall of Fame game.
“Heck yeah,” said Romo, via ESPNDallas.com. “Unless something weird happens and we sit everybody again.”
Romo should certainly play this week. I would expect him to get around two to three offensive series’...
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo wants to be clear, Jerry Jones didn't ask for Romo to spend more time at Valley Ranch, the Cowboys owner and general manager wanted Romo in meetings that he hadn't been part of in the past.
Romo didn't play in Sunday night's preseason opener but he did take a few minutes to answer questions from NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya...
Larry Allen will always be well loved in Dallas for opening up so many holes for Emmitt Smith and keeping defenders off of Troy Aikman, but the rest of the country might dig this guy for what he shared during his Hall of Fame speech.
The 6'3" offensive tackle has always been a big man so its no surprise that on his first date his wife cooked for him. What may be surprising...
CANTON, Ohio -- For newly-inducted Pro Football Hall-of-Famer Larry Allen, it was love at first bite.
"On our first date, she cooked for me," Allen said of his "heart-and-soul" Janelle in a speech that was one of the highlights of the Saturday ceremony in Canton. "She cooked me two chickens, french fries, baked me a cake and gave me a 40-ounce.
As the Premier League season approaches, NBC Sports linked up with comedian Jason Sudeikis (Saturday Night Live, Hall Pass) to promote NBC’s Premier League coverage. Meet Coach Ted Lasso, an American football coach who has just been named the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur.
The video is entitled “An American Coach in London.”
He’s not just American, he’s Texan. So all...
CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- Rookie Devonte Holloman's 75-yard interception return with a tipped pass keyed the Dallas Cowboys' 24-20 victory over the Miami Dolphins in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night that opened the NFL's preseason.
The sixth-round pick from South Carolina was perfectly situated when rookie Chad Bumphis had Matt Moore's pass go off his hands in the second...
It may only be the preseason Hall of Fame Game, but this touchdown by Cowboys running back Phillip Tanner gets our blood boiling here at Gamedayr.
Today the NFL gets it's preseason started, when the Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins square off in this years' Hall of Fame Game. Although, Tony Romo will not be playing, young star wide receiver, Dez Bryant will suit up. I'm guessing he will only get a few snaps, maybe just one series. All eyes will be on Dez, as expectations for the fourth year Cowboy are...
So far my Fantasy Football 2013-2014 Forecast has covered every division in the AFC. With half of the NFL accounted for it’s time to go over the NFC, and I’ll start off with the NFC East. In case you haven’t read my past installments, I’m going to order the teams in each division that I predict will yield the most to least fantasy production among its players. The NFC East...
Tonight I am going to do something a little different to celebrate the arrival of football season. I am going to be posting live comments and tweets from tonight’s game. I will recap each quarter and periodically update this throughout. I hope you enjoy
5:07 PM PST
Football fans the moment we have all been waiting for is here…..FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! Sure it is a pre-season game...
Tweet The NFL is back. Even though it was just a preseason, Sunday evening’s Hall of Fame game between the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins marked the official return of America’s favorite game. The Cowboys sat most of their starters and others played sparingly, but Dallas managed to play well enough to pull out a [...]
Looking for the best Dallas Cowboys blog? Look no further. You found it. Congratulations! Silver and BlueBlood - The Essential Dallas Cowboys Blog | Totally Biased * Highly Opinionated * UnapologeticDateline: Canton, Ohio– It was only the first preseason game and the usual suspects for heroism were on the sideline. Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarco Murray, DeMarcus Ware and Sean...