Found September 02, 2013 on
Detroit Lions wide receiver Matt WIllis makes an impressive snag (Photo Credit: AP)
One should not put much weight in any preseason game. When going against a team like the depleted Buffalo Bills in the last game before the regular season, gaining any sort of valuable information is like trying to draw blood from a skeleton.
With that said I am getting out the 16 gauge needle and taking a look at this game from a Lions vs. Lions standpoint rather than involving the Bills. What do I mean by that? Well, the final preseason game is the last chance for fringe players to show off their skills in hopes of keeping their spots on the 53-man roster that will be selected this Tuesday. The wide receivers put on the most notable of displays.
A Puzzling Picture
- Receivers Patrick Edwards, Khris Durham and Matt Willis all looked terrific . Edwards burned by his opponents over and over when playing with Stafford but had little to show for it. Later the 24-year-old made a shake and bake scramble for six after a quick screen catch from Shaun Hill. The 6-foot-6 Durham showed off his sure hands with two catches on his two targets and grabbed himself a touchdown as well. Finally, wildcard Willis continues to make consistently make spectacular grabs all over the field. The Lions need to cut one of these guys and while they will likely go with youth, 29-year-old Willis has made himself tough to cut.
Detroit Lions wide receiver Patrick Edwards scores on a screen from Shaun Hill (Photo Credit: Daniel Mears/Detroit News)
- Returner Steven Miller did not show enough on special teams to be kept. He made a magnificent run for 34 yards after he broke a few tackles in sweet style, but he is not in the running for a spot at halfback.
- Undrafted rookie LaAdrian Waddle played for most of the game and continued to not make many mistakes. The 321-pound tackle looks like he could have a very bright future if the Lions continue to develop him the right way. When was the last time Detroit groomed an undrafted rookie into an NFL starter? The potential is there for Waddle.
- Newly signed 33-year-old veteran Rashean Mathis proved that he still has something left in the tank. He played right with his opposing wide receivers and even grabbed an interception. The Lions have another tough choice to make here as they could go with Mathis, a former star, or the talented but raw Chris Greenwood to cover up the backend of their secondary. They could also shock us by dropping 31-year-old vet Ron Bartell who has been hurt for a bulk of this preseason.
The starting lines on both sides of play for Detroit barely budged. They each only played for a couple of series, but it was easy to see.
The lone interception for the Lions this preseason came off a botched play by Nate Burleson.
Theo Riddick is a versatile piece that many teams would be happy to have, but the Lions depth chart at running back is already crowded. Riddick’s skill set is not unique enough to make this roster.
Willie Young really improved this offseason. His two sacks on the night were never seen last season. He will fortify the Lions’ newly found strength at defensive end.
- Matthew Stafford has the cannon for an arm, so don’t even think about a quarterback controversy; however, backups Shaun Hill and Kellen Moore have brought their best pistols to play this preseason. The Lions need Stafford to stay healthy to have a chance at a postseason run, but this team would not implode if he had to miss a couple of weeks.
One Last Thing
Only ten days until kickoff!
BEST OF MAXIM
Instagram video is great. On her Instagram account, Stafford’s girlfriend Kelly Hall puts her “drunk modeling ” on full display. Kelly let loose on her Costa Rican vacation with friends. Now she’ll head back to the motor city to cheer on her Lions. See the video below:
Matt Stafford’s Lady Does the Cha Cha (Video)
Matthew Stafford’s Big Ass 4th of July
Matt Willis didn’t make the cut. Kris Durham did. Patrick Edwards did. Michael Spurlock, too. Detroit Lions’ GM Martin Mayhew, head coach Jim Schwartz and the pertinent parts of the Detroit Lions’ coaching staff obviously had their reasons for keeping Durham and Edwards over Willis, but many fans will want to know why the decisions fell the way they did.
It has appeared as...
According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the Lions will be hosting former Giants defensive tackle Marvin Austin for a visit. Detroit Lions are hosting former Giants DT Marvin Austin for a visit today. Could be interesting in their strong rotation — Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) September 2, 2013 The Giants took Austin in the second round of the NFL draft a few years...
ALLEN PARK, Mich. - Detroit Lions safety Louis Delmas has been injured so often since becoming a NFL player that he purchased a hyperbaric chamber for his home.
Ive spent more money on this knee, Delmas said Tuesday following practice. If you walk into my house, youll think I have a whole hospital in that bad boy.
Delmas, entering his fifth season, said he paid 25,000 for the hyperbaric...
Nike released a new advertisement titled “Calvin and Johnson” on YouTube this morning featuring the Detroit Lions wide receiver and Sean “P. Diddy” Combs.
The ad depicts Johnson separating into two personas “Calvin” and “Johnson,” where his first-name focuses on football and last-name focuses on the fame. It is the latest in a long string of ads featuring Detroit...
QBs to Start:
Matt Stafford – Stafford has torched the Vikings D as of late. Last season he averaged over 330 yards against this defense. This week Stafford will have Nate Washington healthy, Ryan Broyles in the slot, and Reggie Bush’s pass catching ability. All signs point for 3+ TDs & 350 TDs for the Lions QB against this young secondary.
Colin Kaepernick – Kaep is...
In Nike’s latest NFL ad spot, Lions star Calvin Johnson and hip hop mogul Sean “P. Diddy” Combs team up to show the good and the bad of being in the spotlight.
The commerical shows Megatron as Calvin, the guy who only wants to focus on playing and training. Calvin stresses about the other aspects of being an NFL star.
Diddy then comes to the rescue as Johnson, and takes care...
Are you wondering what happened to P-Diddy in recent years?
Well apparently he’s been playing the alter ego of Lions wide-out Calvin Johnson. At least that’s how Nike sees it in their latest commercial starring Megatron and the rapper.
Looks like Detroit Tigers quarterback Matt Stafford is doing well for himself. That’s his girlfriend Kelly Hall doing some “drunk modeling” while in Costa Rica. Not bad, Matty, not bad.
Article found on: Next Impulse Sports