Found March 28, 2013 on
The Detroit Sports Site:
The latest on Darrius Heyward-Bey’s free agency, Amari Spievey’s arrest and other Detroit Lions news and notes for March 28, 2013 …
• Darrius Heyward-Bey visited Detroit on Wednesday, 24 hours after he met with the Indianapolis Colts. Heyward-Bey said that the “sky’s the limit” for the Lions’ offense and expressed some excitement at the prospect of playing alongside Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and others.
“It would be nice to be a part of something like that. I just got to sit back and think about it.” — NFL.com
• It wouldn’t be an NFL offseason without a Detroit Lions player getting arrested, now would it? This time, it was safety Amari Spievey, who recently signed a one-year deal to stay in Detroit as a restricted free agent. Spievey allegedly was in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend in Connecticut. — Detroit Free Press
• Checking in on a couple of NFL Mock Drafts here …
Sports Illustrated’s Don Banks has the Lions staying local and taking Central Michigan offensive tackle Eric Fisher. “With veteran offensive tackle Jeff Backus having called it a career since our most recent mock,” Banks writes, “I’m even more convinced the Lions will take the home-state product Fisher.” — SI.com
• CBSSports.com’s Rob Rang, meanwhile, has the Lions focusing on the other side of the football and drafting BYU’s Ziggy Ansah. “With Cliff Avril leaving Detroit in free agency and the team electing to release veteran Kyle Vanden Bosch,” Rang writes, “the Lions clearly will be addressing their need for an edge rusher on draft day.” — CBSSports.com
• Finally, there were rumors a few weeks back that the Lions might bring back their blue end zones — the Silverdome featured that nice little touch. For now, though, that’s not in the cards. — Sidelion Report
BEST OF MAXIM
The Detroit Lions' peaceful offseason reportedly has taken a disturbing turn for the worse.
According to a newspaper report, safety Amari Spievey was arrested Tuesday in his hometown of Middletown, Conn., following a domestic altercation with his girlfriend.
The Middletown Press reported that the dispute centered on child-support payments, citing the police.
He hasn't scored a touchdown or even played a down yet for the Detroit Lions.
But running back Reggie Bush, a recent free-agent addition, already has a steak named after him at Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse in Birmingham, Mich.
It's called the "Reggie Bush Ribeye" -- a 22-ounce "Bone-in Ribeye" -- and is being promoted by the restaurant as "Our Featured...
On the first night of free agency, the Lions brass and quarterback Matthew Stafford took running back Reggie Bush to Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse in Birmingham, Michigan in an effort to woo him to Detroit. As they say, the rest is history as Bush signed a four-year $16 million contract with the Lions the next day.
As much as how Bush will be used in the Lions’ offense – they...
In the continuing search to find a complimentary receiver for Calvin Johnson, a report on Tuesday suggests that the Detroit Lions have scheduled a visit with free agent wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey. Nate Burleson is slated to return after re-working his deal but he will be turning 32 prior to the start of the 2013 regular season. The Lions thought they had found a speedy threat...
(Credit: AP Photo)
It seems another lions player has made headlines for the wrong reason.
Lions safety Amari Spievey was arrested Tuesday around 4 p.m. in Connecicut after having a dispute with his girlfriend over child support, this according to the Middletown Press.
Spievey was arrested for a third-degree assault, risk of injury to a child, and disorderly conduct, according to...
Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz says running backs Joique Bell and Mikel Leshoure will still be part of the Lions offense, according to a report from detroitlions.com, but we don't see how.Fantasy Spin:Bush figures to be the starter and the pass receiver and Leshoure should get the short yardage and goal line work. Barring injury, that obviously would leave Bell, who caught 52...
Well, that didn’t take long.
New Lions running back Reggie Bush already has a restaurant in Detroit giving him his own Dinner Special for fans to order, and he hasn’t even taken the field yet.
After landing in Detroit last night, Bush tweeted that he needed a good steak to eat. After taking several suggestions, Bush tweeted that he had a great steak...
Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has made his share of mistakes. Fortunately, he learns quickly, as he proved last year, when he made it a priority to acquire high-character players like wide receiver Ryan Broyles and offensive lineman Riley Reiff. With a must-win season looming large in 2013, what direction is he likely to [...]The post Martin Mayhew: madcap or moderate...
The Detroit Lions found their playmaker at running back in Reggie Bush and upgraded their secondary with safety Glover Quin.
But there's still a lot of make-or-break work to do before the season opens. Here are 10 questions that have to be answered:
1. Who will be the pass-rusher to replace defensive end Cliff Avril, now with Seattle?
This is easily the biggest void that has...
Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions will bring in free agent K David Akers for a visit sometime next week.
Birkett adds that the Lions are still “undecided” as to whether or not they’ll re-sign Jason Hanson.
Negotiations between Detroit and Hanson have reportedly “gone nowhere” and Lions president Tom Lewand wouldn’t guarantee a return...
Geoff Schwartz is one of only nine Jewish players in the NFL, and he combines with his brother, Mitchell, to comprise 22 percent of the Jewish NFL population. In honor of Passover Tuesday, Schwartz, an offensive lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs, wrote a list of 10 random facts about being a Jewish athlete for Sports Illustrated’s Hot Clicks.
We’ll share two of our favorite...
Dez Bryant is still a young player and believes he can do a lot more than he has so far. He's hoping to crack 2,000 receiving yards.