This year’s free agent class is pretty impressive. As a result, let’s take a look at the top ten free agents, offense and defense, out there…
10. Steven Jackson, RB - The former Rams running back can improve a defense immediately. Most teams could use him and I wouldn’t be surprised if he landed a big contract. The one problem for Jackson is that his numbers have slowly declined in recent years.
Possible fits: Patriots, Rams, Packers
9. Greg Jennings, WR - The former Packers wide receiver was injured most of this past season which will hurt his free agent stock. But in the end, teams will see that Jennings has played well in recent years and that when he came back, he was forced into the third receiver slot thanks to Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson.
Possible fits: Packers, Chargers, Saints
8. Brent Grimes, CB - The former Falcons cornerback only played in one game this past season due to an injury, but that won’t matter when he goes looking for a contract. Grimes is a fantastic cornerback that is young (29), fast, and has the ability to intercept the ball well.
Possible fits: Falcons, Patriots, Saints
7. Dwayne Bowe, WR - The former Chiefs wide receiver is almost unlucky as Larry Fitzgerald is in terms of being a good wide receiver on a team with a bad quarterback. If Bowe signs with a team that has a good QB, he will be a top 10 wide receiver for the next couple years.
Possible fits: Chargers, Seahawks, Colts
6. Victory Cruz, WR - The former Giants wide receiver still has the potential to become one of the best wide receivers in the game. Cruz is an excellent wide receiver that is young and has a lot of potential. The downside, he’s going to be very expensive.
Possible fits: Giants, Colts, Cowboys
5. Ryan Clady, OT - The former Broncos offensive tackle gave up one sack and six hits this year on his quarterback. That’s pretty darn impressive and was one of the main reasons why Peyton Manning had such a good year. Clady is good enough to demand a massive contract and because of his age (26) he will definitely get it.
Possible fits: Broncos, Patriots, Ravens
4. Henry Melton, DT - The former Bears defensive tackle is a monster. In his three years in the league, Melton has totaled 15.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and 62 tackles. Melton is only 26 and will help improve every team’s defense immensely.
Possible fits: Bears, Cowboys, Texans
3. Mike Wallace, WR - The former Steelers wide receiver is one of the fastest players in the NFL. Wallace can run the ball if needed, jump up and catch in when necessary, and return kicks with ease. If Wallace doesn’t get one of the largest contracts ever for a wide receiver, he’ll be a steal.
Possible fits: Steelers, Patriots, Chargers
2. Wes Welker, WR - The former Patriots wide receiver is better than Wallace, but is also five years older. Welker needs New England and they need him. As a result, he will probably land a big contract thanks to the Patriots’ need to overpay in order to keep him in a New England uniform.
Possible fits: Patriots, Chargers, Cowboys
1. Joe Flacco, QB - The former Ravens quarterback was just named Super Bowl MVP. What does that mean? Well, it means that he’s going to sign a massive deal. Flacco doesn’t deserve a top 5 QB contract but will probably get it seeing as Baltimore doesn’t have any other options at quarterback.
Possible fits: Ravens, Browns, Chiefs
Follow me on twitter: @MrLauterbachXLJ