Posted March 12, 2012 on
AP on Fox
New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson and coach Sean Payton have met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who will decide the team's punishment for its bounty program from 2009-11.
The Saints said Benson and Payton requested Monday's meeting with Goodell.
Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams - who is now with the St. Louis Rams - met last week with NFL investigators looking into the bounty system he ran in New Orleans.
Thousands of dollars in payoffs went to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.
Punishments could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft picks.
BEST OF MAXIM
New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis says the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with backup quarterback and place holder Chase Daniel.
Daniel, a former Heisman trophy finalist with Missouri, has been with the Saints since 2009 and has been Drew Brees' backup since 2010.
During the past two seasons, the 6-foot Daniel has appeared in 29 games, mostly...
Saints' former first round pick Robert Meachem has agreed to a 4 year deal with the San Diego Chargers that will see him leave New Orleans. The Chargers lost their star receiver Vincent Jackson to the Tampa Bay Bucs earlier in the day and quickly moved to replace him. Several teams showed interest in Meachem, most notably the Buffalo Bills who made a strong play to land him early...
NEW ORLEANS, March 13— The Saints released a statement today confirming that they will not lose their true number one receiver Marques Colston. Colston and the team have come to terms on a five year contract according to Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis.
“Since we drafted Marques in 2006, he’s been everything that we are looking for in a New Orleans Saint...
The players' union wants the NFL to delay announcing any punishment to the New Orleans Saints for their bounty program until it can conduct its own investigation.
NFLPA spokesman George Atallah tells The Associated Press on Tuesday that ''We asked the league to hold off on any punishment until our information gathering was completed.''
The union said last week...
According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, the New Orleans Saints and wide receiver Marques Colston are working hard to get a new contract finalized before free agency opens up at 4pm Tuesday.
It seems that Colston really wants to stay with the Saints and will try to do what he can to return to New Orleans.
Colston had 80 receptions for 1,143 yards and 8 touchdowns in 2011.
From Drew Brees’ soured contract negotiations to some scandal which I can only guess is linked to a brand of paper towels, we Saints fans have been raked over the coals this offseason. But have no fears, fans! Saints’ star wide receiver Marques Colston is once again coming through in the clutch. He just signed a 5 year deal with the team!
Read more about the deal and what...
According to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune, free agent guard Carl Nicks arrived in Tampa late Tuesday night and a deal could get done within the next 24 hours.
Sounds like the Buccaneers are ready to lock up their second big name free agent within 24 hours.
Nicks made it clear that he wants to make the most money of any guard in the NFL and it seems like the Bucs are more than...
Per a report from NBC Sports and Jay Glazer, the Saints and would have been free agent WR Marqeus Colston have come to terms on a new five year contract.
The Saints had been hard at work looking for a way to bring back Colston despite being strapped for cap space. Well, they pulled it off. Colston has been one of the most productive receivers in the league since coming into the...
The New Orleans Saints and wide receiver Marques Colston have agreed on a new five-year deal, according to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports.The deal is reportedly worth close to $40 million with $19 million in guaranteed salary.The 28-year-old caught 80 passes for 1,143 yards and eight touchdowns last season for the Saints.
Marques Colston has agreed to a five-year deal worth $40M to remain with the New Orleans Saints, according to Jay Glazer of FOX Sports.
So wide receiver-needy teams will now be forced to take Colston off their list of targets in free agency. And his fantasy stock shall remain steady, as he was unlikely to meet or exceed his current level of production with another club.
The New Orleans Saints didn't even give Marques Colston a chance to hit the open market. According to John Clayton of ESPN, Colston has signed a contract of 5 years worth nearly 40 million dollars with 19 million gaurateed. Colston had 80 catches for over 1,100 yards and 8 touchdowns last season with the Saints.