Originally posted on Nightmare on Helm Street | Last updated 3/19/12
The Red Wings are back at home tonight where they will play 7 of their last 10 games. Tonight they play the struggling Capitals who are in a fight to hold onto the last playoff spot in the east.
20 points left. 8 behind St. Louis. Tied with Nashville. Screwed by our shootout wins.
Puck drops at 7:30pm on FSD
Click the jump for more
Tonight we could witness something special, as Josh noted earlier Gustav Nyquist will be playing on a line with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi. I am extremely happy that Babbles is giving goose a shot with the big boys. After all he did just set the Griffins rookie scoring record.
Good news on the injury front as Johan Franzen and Nick Lidstrom are making progress. Franzen will try returning later this week. There still is no return timeline set for Lidstrom, but he did skate this morning for longer than he has and reports that his ankle is feeling better but still has some swelling.
In the not so good news department Helm had an MRI this morning and will be out 4-6 weeks with a 2nd degree MCL sprain.
The Caps have struggled since starting the season 7-0. Backstrom has been sidelined for a good chunk of the season, Vokoun hasn't performed as well as they had hoped and Ovechkin has only recently started to pick up his normal pace.
Detroit has a very dangerous top six for tonight, let's hope that the bottom six step it up a notch and picks up the slack with the namesake out.
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 45-39-16-0 all-time vs WAS
DET is 25-15-11-0 all-time vs WAS on home ice
DET is T-2nd in the NHL in wins (44) and 2nd in home wins (28)
DET is T-2nd in the NHL in home goals (122) 2nd in home GA (61)
DET is T-5th in the NHL in goals/game (2.97) and 4th in GA/game (2.39)
DET is 5th in the NHL in shots/game (32.1) and T-2nd in SA/game (26.9)
DET leads the NHL in 5-on-5 goal ratio (1.50)
DET is 2nd in the NHL in fewest PIM/game (8.6)
DET is 73-4-4 the last 81 times they've scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• J. Howard is T-3rd in the NHL in wins (33), 6th in GAA (2.11), 11th in SV% (.922) and is T-3rd in shutouts (6)
• J. Howard is 4-0-0 (1.00 GAA, .962 SV%) in 4 Monday appearances this season
• J. Howard is 7-2-0 (2.14 GAA, .925 SV%) in 9 appearances vs Eastern Conference teams this season
• I. White is T-1st amongst all NHL defenseman with a home ice rating of +24
• P. Datsyuk is T-11th in the NHL in points-per-game (1.00)
• N. Kronwall has tallied 2G-7A-9P in his last 9 GP
• N. Kronwall is T-3rd in the NHL in goals by a defenseman (14) and T-7th in blocked shots (163)
• H. Zetterberg has recorded 5G-8A-13P in his last 10 GP
• H. Zetterberg is T-19th in the NHL in SOG (230)
• V. Filppula is T-15th in the NHL in home ice scoring (34GP-13G-23A-36P)
• V. Filppula is 2nd in the NHL in points by a Finn (59)
• V. Filppula is T-6th in the NHL in shooting percentage (18.9%) is T-24th in even-strength goals (19)
• V. Filppula has tallied 6G-7A-13P in his last 10 GP
• J. Hudler ranks 2nd in the NHL in shooting percentage (20.8%) and is T-24th in even-strength goals (19)
• T. Holmstrom's next PPG will tie him with U. Dahlen for 5th place all-time in NHL history amongst Swedes (120)
ALL-TIME RED WINGS HAT TRICKS VS. CAPITALS
Mickey Redmond vs Washington: Oct 19, 1974
Michel Bergeron @ Washington: Dec 12, 1975
Dale McCourt vs Washington: Jan 22, 1978
Sergei Fedorov (5) vs Washington: Dec 26, 1996
20 points left, let's get 2 tonight.
MORE FROM YARDBARKER
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
Follow us on Twitter
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff