In the, “This makes sense for both parties” depertmaent, the Free Press’s Helene St. James reports that the Red Wings and Todd Bertuzzi will keep on keepin’ on:
The Detroit Red Wings will announce a two-year extension for forward Todd Bertuzzi as early as Thursday, Bertuzzi’s agent, Pat Morris, told the Free Press today that “we’re working at it, and getting closer.” The sides have been talking for the past month.
Bertuzzi, 37, is in the last of a two-year deal that’s averaged $1,937,500. His new deal is for closer to $2.2 million a season, and is backloaded.
General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press last month that “I think Bert’s been great all season.” The Wings like how Bertuzzi has developed into a two-way player, and how he helped get the first line going after being put with Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen on Nov. 17, in the game against Los Angeles. Bertuzzi has 12 goals and is plus-21 in 54 games this season.