Found January 02, 2013 on Fox Soccer:
PLAYERS: Rio Ferdinand
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has opened up on the time he was confronted by a gang of hooded fans during his contract talks with the club eight years ago. The group turned up outside the player's house to demand that he sign a new deal. Ferdinand's future had been the subject of speculation at the time after he had been photographed with then Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon in a restaurant, but that had been a chance encounter. Ferdinand was asked to come to the door but could not see anyone on his security monitors. The 34-year-old told Four Four Two magazine: "So I go to the side door and grab a big bit of wood, jump on the side of the wall and I'm just about to scream 'raaaah!' when I see there's a massive group of people, with hoodies and caps covering their faces. "I just thought, 'I'm going to get served up in a moment, so go bananas and they'll think you're a nutter!' "Then one of them said, ...
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

City fan banned over Rio clash

The fan who confronted Rio Ferdinand at the end of the Manchester derby has been banned from attending football matches for three years. Manchester City fan Matthew Stott, 21, was told he came close to going to prison, but instead his 56-day jail term was suspended for 12 months. Stott had to be restrained by City keeper Joe Hart from confronting Ferdinand, who was bleeding from...

Watford in Deeney deal talks

The fan who confronted Rio Ferdinand at the end of the Manchester derby has been banned from attending football matches for three years. Manchester City fan Matthew Stott, 21, was told he came close to going to prison, but instead his 56-day jail term was suspended for 12 months. Stott had to be restrained by City keeper Joe Hart from confronting Ferdinand, who was bleeding from...

Man City pitch invader banned for 3 years

A Manchester City fan who stormed onto the pitch at Etihad Stadium during the Manchester derby last month has been banned from attending matches for three years. Matthew Stott had to be restrained by City goalkeeper Joe Hart from confronting United defender Rio Ferdinand, who was already bleeding from a cut caused by a coin thrown from the stands as he celebrated Robin van Persie...

Boateng: FIFA must do more

Kevin-Prince Boateng has insisted he will walk off the pitch again if he is racially abused and criticised FIFA for not doing more to tackle the issue. The AC Milan midfielder walked off during a club friendly on Thursday, followed by the rest of his team, and has warned he will do it again with the backing of club president Silvio Berlusconi. Speaking to CNN, Boateng said: "...
Soccer News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.