Nick Faldo was critical of the PGA Tour/Memorial Tournament officials for their handling of Jon Rahm’s positive COVID-19 test.
Rahm had been in contact tracing ever since coming in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Rahm notified the PGA Tour of this development on Monday. He kept being tested for COVID-19 but was negative until receiving his most recent results. Rahm’s tests from after his second round on Friday, and before his third round on Saturday, both came back positive.
Rahm was forced to withdraw from the tournament despite entering Sunday’s final round with a six-shot lead.
What had Faldo upset is the way the matter was handled.
Faldo, who is an analyst for CBS who works with play-by-play man Jim Nantz, felt it was wrong for tournament officials to inform Rahm of the COVID news as soon as the golfer completed the round. The entire event unfolded live on TV.
Faldo said he felt CBS should have been given a heads up about the news. He also felt it would have been more appropriate for Rahm to have been informed of the news in private.
Why we CBS didn't get a heads up, or why wasn't he told to put a mask on and come inside we've got something to tell you?! It would've been all a completely different reaction/situation! https://t.co/LwsDIKwpdY
— Sir Nick Faldo (@NickFaldo006) June 5, 2021
Faldo and Nantz were concerned the news was worse. Based on Rahm’s reaction, the announcers feared Rahm might have been informed of a death.
Their concerns are legitimate, as anyone who saw Rahm’s reaction would have feared the worst. That is the type of news that probably should have been shared in private. Either way, the entire situation is shocking. It would have been heartbreaking for Rahm no matter what.