Here are this week’s WCHA Power Rankings. This season, I will be doing the WCHA Power Rankings with Taylor Seibel who is a contributor of College Hockey Weekly. I will post Taylor's rankings as soon as I get them.
Originally, I wasn’t going to do any power rankings until after this weekend’s games, but since I had to do my rankings for the Week 12 WCHA Web Media Poll, here is what I will submit for the WCHA Web Media Poll.
1. Minnesota Gophers – (13-3-3, WCHA 6-3-3) – This past weekend, the Minnesota Gophers beat (4-0 W, 8-1 W) Air Force Academy and Boston College in their annual Mariucci Classic. The Gophers are off till January 8th, when they play the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in a single nonconference game.
2. University of North Dakota – (10-5-3, WCHA 7-2-3) – The Green and White have been off during the Christmas break and return to action this weekend against Holy Cross at Ralph Englestad Arena.
3. Denver University – (10-6-3, WCHA 7-4-3) – This past weekend, the Denver Pioneers beat (6-0 W) the Boston University Terriers in the Hall of Fame Game, in Denver. The Pioneers snapped a horrid streak; and now have a single win in their last nine games (1-5-3). This weekend, the Pioneers entertain ECAC Foe Cornell in an important two game series in Magness Arena.
4. Minnesota State Mankato – (12-6-2, WCHA 8-6-0) – This past weekend, the Mavericks won (3-1 W – 3-1 W) the UConn Hockey Classic in Storrs, Connecticut. This weekend, The Mavericks entertain Hockey East Foe Providence at the Verizon Wireless Center, in Mankato. While the Mavericks schedule might not be all that impressive on paper – they’re 43rd in SOS – they have won nine of 10 games and would be a bubble team for the NCAA tourney if it was selection Sunday. It will be interesting to see how the second half of their season shakes out. The Mavericks toughest games during the second half of the season are against Minnesota and North Dakota and only play 7 out of the next 16 games away from the Verizon Wireless Center.
5. Saint Cloud State – (12-8-0, WCHA 9-5-0) – This past weekend, the Huskies had an unimpressive split (3-4 L – 2-1 w) ECAC foe Rensselaer at the National Hockey Center. This weekend, the Huskies entertain CCHA foe Northern Michigan.
6. Nebraska Omaha – (11-8-1, WCHA 7-4-1) – This past weekend, the Mavericks were swept (4-5 L – 1-3 L) by the Quinnipiac Bobcats. This weekend, the Mavericks entertain the Colorado College Tigers in a pivotal two game WCHA series, at the CenturyLink Center in Omaha, Nebraska.
7. Colorado College – (8-10-2, WCHA 5-6-1) – The Colorado College have been off during the Christmas break. This weekend, the Tigers travel to Omaha, Nebraska to play the Mavericks in an important two game WCHA series.
8. Michigan Tech – (6-10-3, WCHA 3-8-3) – This past weekend, the Huskies won (4-0 W – 4-0 W) the Great Lakes Invitational in Detroit Michigan. The Huskies snapped a seven game winless streak. This weekend, the Huskies are off.
9. Wisconsin – (4-7-5, WCHA 2-5-5) – The Wisconsin Badgers have been off during the Christmas Break, This weekend, the Badgers travel to Anchorage, Alaska to play the UAA Seawolves.
10. Minnesota Duluth – (7-10-3, WCHA 5-6-3) – This past weekend, the UMD Bulldogs took fourth place (0-1 L – 2-6 L) in the Florida College losing to Maine and Ferris State. With their title this weekend, Maine has won the Florida College Classic seven times since 2000. This weekend, the Bulldogs are off.
11. Bemidji State – (5-9-3, WCHA 4-7-3) – Last night, the Bemidji State Beavers lost (3-4) to Massachusetts in the first round of the Ledyard Bank Classic in Hanover, NH. Tonight, the Beavers play New Hampshire in the third place game of the Ledyard Bank Classic. This Weekend, the Beavers play a nonconference series against CCHA foe Western Michigan.
12. Alaska Anchorage – (3-9-4, WCHA 1-8-3) – The Seawolves have been off during the Christmas Break. This weekend, the Seawolves entertain the Wisconsin Badgers at the Sullivan Arena. The Seawolves have won one game in the last 12 games (1-8-3).
WCHA Power Rankings: 12/16/12 (insidehockey.com)
WCHA Power Rankings: 12/02/12 (insidehockey.com)
WCHA Power Rankings: 11/25/2012 (insidehockey.com)
WCHA Power Rankings: 11/11/2012 (insidehockey.com)